robust porter fg slightly high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
OK, so this is a bit of a splitting hairs stuck fermentation as my FG is really not THAT high, but I am looking at how to proceed to get the best product I can for what I got. FWIW, the beer tastes great so far.

Details:
-This is JZ's black widow recipe from BCS. OG was dead on at 1.064.
-looking back, i underpitched the yeast. I am pretty confident this is my problem. I used a quart jar of starter that a friend made for me off of a yeast cake. The fermentation never took off (as far as bubbling in the air lock) like it normally does using this yeast...which is wyeast 1054.
-just over two weeks in the fermenter and my final gravity is at around 1.018 (two readings 3 days apart confirms I am done.)
-Sunday, I put yeast nutrient in and siwrled the carboy a little.

OK, so I am fine with the FG being a little high, but what I was thinking is can I combat a little sweetness with some carbonation? What I mean is recommended carb levels 2-2.5, shoot for the 2.5. I would normally aim a little on the lower side....like calculate the mid point, then round down to the nearest ounce.

Id be satisfied with that FG. What was it supposed to be? I don't want my porter to be dry.

Sorry, supposed to be 1.015.
Would you adjust carb levels to the difference in expected vs. actual FG on something this close is really what I am asking?

Thanks

Id be satisfied with that FG. What was it supposed to be? I don't want my porter to be dry.

This...I have a porter on tap with a FG of 1020-1022 ish, I believe. Its fantastic and spot on to what I was going for.

Dont overcarb...

Latest posts

Back