Robust Porter extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrZym802

Reaction score
thoughts -

Style: Baltic Porter OG: 1.076
Type: Extract FG: 1.015
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 7.99 %
Calories: 246 IBU's: 34.91
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color: 40.9 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.072 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.00 lbs 50.00 % Maillard Gold Malt 30 mins 1.036
3.00 lbs 25.00 % Maillard Dark Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 4.17 % Crisp Brown Malt 60 mins 1.032
0.75 lbs 6.25 % Fawcett Pale Chocolate 60 mins 1.030
0.25 lbs 2.08 % Dingemans Special B 60 mins 1.030
0.50 lbs 4.17 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 8.33 % Candi Sugar, Dark 45 mins 1.032

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 29.77 Magnum 60 mins 14.00
1.00 ozs 5.14 Goldings, East Kent 10 mins 5.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Scottish Ale Wyeast Labs 1728

Not crazy about the idea of sugar in a porter, but it's a Baltic, so IDK.

I assume you know that Munich malt should be mashed, since its starch is not converted to sugars? You can do that by steeping at 155 or so for at least 30 min.

I have the sugar and won't be making anything that can use it anytime soon. was hoping to get the dark fruits from it...but, I can also get the same form the special B too. sooo, I'm overly sold on using it.

edit: the sugar is also to help me get around 8%

And I do plan on steeping the grains.

planning on this this weekend...anyone else want to chime in. I am willing to make adjustments

Nothing? maybe I have to convert this to all grain and post in that thread to get feedback.

Looks ok, I guess. Problem is that no-one is familiar with what is in the dark extract. If it is Briess or Mailard malt, you can find out from the Briess website.

The sugar is fine. I'd recommend it since you are using extract. I'd just go with plain table sugar or brown sugar.

I'd double the chocolate ........ But what is in the dark LME?

You will get little to nothing from the Brown and Munich malts. They really need to be mashed.

I agree with above post regarding the need to mash in order to get the flavour profile you want. Brown and Munich are both killed malts, so you can steep them, but not very effectively. I would also add in a small addition of Black Patent for some roast character. Or you could use Carafa Special 2 (5oz) or so.

Instead of the syrups, I would use a good Munich LME along with a regular 2 row LME.

Sugar is fine, will dry it out somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks ok, I guess. Problem is that no-one is familiar with what is in the dark extract. If it is Briess or Mailard malt, you can find out from the Briess website.

The sugar is fine. I'd recommend it since you are using extract. I'd just go with plain table sugar or brown sugar.

I'd double the chocolate ........ But what is in the dark LME?

You will get little to nothing from the Brown and Munich malts. They really need to be mashed.

So it is Mailard Malt Dark LME. From Northern Brewers site - Maillard Malts® Dark malt syrup is a blend of pale malt with some caramel 60, Munich, and black malt.

Mailard is Briess. Per Briess website it is:

54% Munich
30% Base Malt
13% C60
3% Black

Back