Robobrew V3 Mash Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBabiesBeer

Reaction score
I read in a quick Google search that some robobrew or other all-in-one systems with malt pipes add some rice hulls to help reach OG more efficiently (I suppose with a lower water-to-grain ratio). With my experience in 4-7 bbl breweries, I have no problem using DME to correct my gravity during the boil to make sure my recipes are consistent.

Can anyone with robobrew V3 (or other similar system) experience shed some light on this rice hull solution?

Thanks

I have the Grainfather and I only use rice hulls when using wheat. I had a massive grain bill once and probably wouldn't have hurt to use it . If my memory serves me I use half to a whole # of rice hulls for 5 gallon batch.

I have the Grainfather and I only use rice hulls when using wheat. I had a massive grain bill once and probably wouldn't have hurt to use it . If my memory serves me I use half to a whole # of rice hulls for 5 gallon batch.
Thanks. I did try it this last batch, and it didn't change things too much. How close are you to hitting target gravity without correcting with DME? Do you add to your grain bill? Or do you tend to step mash more?

I'm usually in the 80's efficiency wise . I think I've came short a few times but I dont add DME is just roll with it

My efficiency is horrible but it’s consistently horrible so it’s not a problem.

Robobrew without the built in pump, though I've got a recirculation pump on it.
Nice. I have the pump. Clogged it the last go round but will get all the crap out with co2 this next brew day. I put the bottom of the mash pipe together wrong [emoji30]

Robobrew without the built in pump, though I've got a recirculation pump on it.
Just curious how much of a boil-off you have observed on your system. I have moved to 75 min boils just to make sure I'm getting closer to an appropriate volume, since my loss otherwise is pretty minimal between pump/chiller/hop spider.

Just curious how much of a boil-off you have observed on your system. I have moved to 75 min boils just to make sure I'm getting closer to an appropriate volume, since my loss otherwise is pretty minimal between pump/chiller/hop spider.

My losses are really low too. Something like 2L/hour. I’ve gone back to doing 90 minute boils since I was getting a whiff of DMS in a few beers.

Sounds like we are in similar places.

My losses are really low too. Something like 2L/hour. I’ve gone back to doing 90 minute boils since I was getting a whiff of DMS in a few beers.

Sounds like we are in similar places.
What kind of malt are you using? Should really only be an issue with some Pilsner malts...

Back