Roasting Wheat Malt...any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowveil

Reaction score
So I want to try something a little different for my next batch and I've decided to go for a 100% wheat porter.

For 3 gallons I've got a rough outline:

6lbs wheat malt
.75lbs chocolate wheat
.5lbs caramel wheat

1oz fuggles (4%aa) @ 60 minutes, 27 IBUS

Fermented with a clean yeast, probably s-05

My question is, does anyone have experience roasting malt to the point of being black malt? I'd like to get a few ounces in there to darken the recipe up just a bit and give it a little bit of a roasty character, but I don't want it turn out acrid by roasting incorrectly. The color range according to qbrew is already at about 30 Lovibond but I've not yet tried making a porter without some black malt in it.

Can/should I just take a few ounces of the wheat and keep roasting at 350* until I reach the desired color? Or would it be best just to ditch it all together and rely on getting color from the chocolate and caramel wheat?

I of course could always just buy a few ounces of black malt, but I'd really like to keep this recipe 100% wheat :)

It is very difficult to make very dark malts at home, the line between black patent and char is very narrow. I love doing light toasted malts at home (which could add some complementary flavors to this beer), but I leave the dark malts to the professionals. Since wheat is dehusked it probably want have the harsh/acrid/bite of a porter with black patent, but it should still be tasty. Good luck.

Can't get dark roasted wheat? I haven't seen it either.

I would mash it, and sizzle 2 cups or so in a HOT skillet until it is DARK.

I have turned pale 2 row into Porterish malts this way with good flavors.

EXPERIMENT!

Back