Roasting Grains Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've not done any AG as of yet, but plan to in the very near future.

I was reading some posts on SMaSH brewing and some are toasting part of their grain bills to get some more complexity.

If I made a hypothetical SMaSH batch with 10lbs of 2-row and wanted to toast some,
would I toast a pound or two from that 10 lbs, or take some extra grain and toast it?
Does toasting the grain significantly reduce it's contribution to the beer, gravity-wise? What effect does roasting have? Sounds like fun.

The roasting of the grain will give the beer a little bit of a toasted almost nutty flavor depending on how long you toast it and will make the beer a bit darker. I have had no difference with my efficiency when doing this in some of my beers. However for a SMASH i would just use the plain malt to get a base for the hops to really show off on. That's the opinion of a hop head who uses malt as a medium to digest as much hops as i can.

Back