Roasting Crystal Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Guy

Reaction score
I picked up some 2-Row and Chrystal 40L the other day. I was planning on doing a Pale Ale and a Blonde Ale. Then I got to reading about roasting grains. Now I'm thinking a Brown, Porter or Stout might be nice. I have read up on roasting grains and making crystal from base grains and have a simple question.

Any thoughts on roasting or toasting of Crystal grains?

I've only ever roasted base malt, but I've made my own crystal by soaking then roasting. A lot of people use their ovens to roast grain, and that works fine for lighter roasts, but for anything like 300+ chocolate or black patent malt I've had good luck with a whisk, cast iron skillet, and medium heat and a lot of stirring for about 30-45min.

The inside of the grain gets darker than the husk, so you need to crush a little bit while you're roasting it to make sure you don't go too dark.

. . . Any thoughts on roasting or toasting of Crystal grains?

Crystal grains have already been toasted or roasted to some degree (Depends on what Lovibond rating you want), If you're wanting to make chocolate malt or black malt, etc, just roast pale malt. If you want roasted barley then just use raw barley.

Here's the way I do it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happiness-home-malting-107409/index12.html see post #113. It works great.

This does make alot of smoke, so be aware.:mug:

Back