Roasted Flavor - No Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkslurm

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some roasted flavor (stout like) but none to very little increase of SRM. I've seen a few posts on this topic, and on other web sites as well, but nothing has given me any real definitive answers.

My recipe for a White (Christmas) stout. 5.5 gal

79% Maris Otter
8% flaked barley
8% flaked oats
3% crystal 40

31IBU Chinook
7 IBU Willamette

Spices/adjuncts (not nailed down yet)
Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla
1 lb Lactose

So here are my "roasting" ideas, please let me know what you think!:
1 - use very little amount of roasted barley. 6oz brings my SRM from 8 to 16. Still pretty light, but wanted to keep it sub 10. And not sure if 6oz will give much roasted flavor for 5 gal.
2 - use 2%-3% grist roasted barley or black malt in a separate (uber)mini tea. A really concentrated tea to get the roasted flavor - as little water as possible to cover the grains (thinking ~ pint should do it). Then adding that to the boil. Will a pint of 300-500 SRM liquid change the overall SRM of the entire brew that much? And, again, will that give me enough flavor?
3 - Burn/char/heavy toast some wood chips - like a good amount of them. maybe 6 oz to even 12oz of them. Would that give a stout-like roasted flavor?
4 - Add roasted barley Tea (mugicha) its been mentioned on here before, but I've never tasted it, nor have any experience with it...but maybe someone else has.

I don't want to add any coffee or chocolate.

I may just scrap the whole roasted Idea, but just want to throw it out to the homebrew world before I do.

Thanks!

I did see this post. Thank you for your response though.
I may try to add a small amount of roasted barley and or home-toast some victory malt. I think the victory malt would add some roasted flavor with little change in SRM...maybe even a bit more when roasted in my oven.

Back