Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
I am looking to make an English Brown Ale today and the recipe calls for Roasted Barely. I believe I need to bake this but what kind of grain do you buy to bake? Thanks for the help

You can buy it from your LHBS or online. I am sure you could roast your own, but I am not sure how.

Put it on a cookie sheet or pizza pan in a 350* oven for about 10 minutes.

The longer you bake it, the darker it gets.

Most recipes I have seen only call for about 1/4 pound, so if you bake a pound, you can divide it up and use it in several batches.

I think it would take much longer than 10 minutes at 350.

I toast some Marris Otter for one of my recipes and I toast for 30 minutes at 350. I don't know exactly where the color turns out but "toasted" in beersmith shows as 27L and I Roasted shows as 300L.

Roasted would be much darker.

The recipe does not call for "toasted" barley, it calls for "roasted" barley. Big difference as planenut pointed out. Roasted barley is a specialty grain just like chocolate or crystal malt. Your really don't need or want to make it, just pick some up at your LHBS.

Back