Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlammer

Reaction score
I just got back from the LHBS with Roasted Barley for a Stout that i am going to brew tomorrow morning.

The color of the roasted barley looks looks more like the coffee malt that is listed as 175 degrees L. It is brown, kinda like cordovan.

My understanding was that roasted barley was almost black.

What should i do.

I have some 1 year old roasted barley that was crushed a year ago and has been sitting in my basement.

can i roast it darker?

......What should i do.?

brew beer, you're getting caught up in technicalities, RDWHAHB:tank:
Roasted barley is not almost black, get some black malt, orrrrrrrr better yet roast it yourself, you have control, YOU are the master!

You can't really relate the lovibond rating of a malt by looking at it.

I can tell a difference in all my crystal malts.

To answer your question, does the recipe specify the color of the roasted barley? Some recipes use the 300L Roasted Barley. I always use the Black Barley that is 500+L. This is different than Black Malt. Roasted or Black Barley is unmalted.

What brand is it? Briess created this mess by making two varieties of Roasted Barley:

1. Roasted Barley, 300L
2. Black Barley, 500L

All other maltsters have only one variety, generally 500-550L, and call it either Roasted or Black Barley... If you purchased the 300L and are brewing a stout, I am not sure you will get what you are looking for and I think I would probably return to hbs and purchase the 500L stuff... Stupid Briess.......

What brand is it? Briess created this mess by making two varieties of Roasted Barley:

1. Roasted Barley, 300L
2. Black Barley, 500L

All other maltsters have only one variety, generally 500-550L, and call it either Roasted or Black Barley... If you purchased the 300L and are brewing a stout, I am not sure you will get what you are looking for and I think I would probably return to hbs and purchase the 500L stuff... Stupid Briess.......

I'm not sure why this is a 'mess.' These two Briess products are distinctly different and are used for different purposes. I have found that using a mixture of the two produces the desired color while changing the acrid characteristics of the roast flavor...

The mess is that while Briess roasts their "Roasted Barley" to 300L, and everyone roasts Roasted Barley to 500L. Can be rather confusing to say the least... If they would have just called it "Light Roasted Barley" it would not be so confusing...

The mess is that while Briess roasts their "Roasted Barley" to 300L, and everyone roasts Roasted Barley to 500L. Can be rather confusing to say the least... If they would have just called it "Light Roasted Barley" it would not be so confusing...

My one pound bag of Briess says LIGHT Roasted Barley 300L

Well i think i must have gotten he light barley. I mixed light barley with some year old black barley.

next time i will be more careful

Latest posts

Back