roasted barley or chocolate malt for a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about brewing an oatmeal stout or a simple dry stout, but I'm wondering if there is a substitute for roasted barley.

I can't find roasted barley for sale here, and I read somewhere that in the early days guinness was made of just pale malt and chocolate malt (no roasted barley).

I can find raw barley, but I'm not sure it is adequated for brewing purposes. Moreover, I'm afraid that roasting it at home will make my neighbours think that the house is on fire :)

Would it be ok to use just chocolate malt for a stout? I know it is not right to the style, but I can live with it as long as it tastes good :)

Can you buy it online? That would be the best way. I would imagine both chocolate and roasted in a stout.

I prefer the taste of roasted barley over Choco malt in a stout, but it's all a matter of personal opinions.

You really should use roasted barley, IMO. One of the very few differences between a porter and a stout (a stout is just a stout porter, BTW) is the use of chocolate malt vs. roasted barley. Get your hands on some roasted barley if you can. Just my .02

British Chocolate would work in a stout, the American Chocolate is not roasted enough IMO. Whatever malt you use should be over 400L to get the roast character you need in a stout, your source should be able to tell you the lovibond rating of the malt.

Back