Quantcast

Roasted barley (300 SRM) subsitute

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Blou04

Reaction score
Hi, i'm planning to brew a scotch next month(8gal), i'd like to do that recipe : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=153797

My problem: i can't find 300 SRM roasted barley, only 1100-1400 ebc. I was thinking i could use half the roasted barley the recipe calls for, as what is carried is belgium is more roasted. I understand it's not the same flavor profile, how can i get the closest.
Also, i can't find special roast(50°L), can i substitute with some aroma malt( 100 ebc) or crystal (caramel 120 ebc).

I cry of all the conversion i got to do to keep using US recipes(F°, SRM, gal and oz to C°, ebc, L and grams). :D

Thank you

OP
B

Blou04

Reaction score
Yeah, i forgot to mention, i live in Belgium, so any US-based site is going to cost me more in shipping than malt. I can order from brouwland.com, homebrewshop.be and eventually maltmiller.co.uk

Light roasted barley is impossible to find around here, i was asking to substitute it.

JKaranka

Reaction score
Hum, I think you'd get a more British 'authentic' beer if you substituted the roast barley for a smaller amount of Patent Malt (for colour only), and the special roast for Amber Malt.

I hadn't realised how pale that American roast barley is! Falls just below Chocolate Malt. No wonder they use 10% in a stout!

OP
B

Blou04

Reaction score
So, something along the lines of:
81.5% Maris Otter(3.0srm)
5.8% Caramel 60L
5.8% Munich (9.0srm)
5.8% Amber malt (50 ebc =>25 srm)%that's what my HBS sells as amber malt
0.5% Black malt (1100-1400srm => 600-700 ebc)
0.5%Chocolate(900 ebc => 450 srm)
some malts are slightly different from the us version.
Would this be close enough from the original recipe. Thank for the advices :)

JKaranka

Reaction score
From my personal point of view that looks better than the original, plus it uses local ingredients (well, I assume the Amber malt is Crisp or other British malt) :D

OP
B

Blou04

Reaction score
The black malt is from Thomas Fawcett but i think the amber malt is from brewferm (belgian maltster).

OP
B

Blou04

Reaction score
thanks, i'll try that after my midterms :)