Roast Barley / Black Roast Barley Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
In several stout recipes in the database (including the one I'll probably make), it calls for "Roast Barley (300 SRM)".

AHS carries only "Black Roast Barley" at 500 SRM. They assert that this is the proper ingredient for stouts (I asked).

My LHBS carries Roast Barley at 600.

Charlie P. says that the barley should be deep red, but not black. Jamil Z. says it should be crushed very fine, almost powdered.

How significant are these differences? I'm about to put together a stout recipe, and want to be sure I get the right stuff!

Thanks in advance...

Well you have a few options. If you can get your hands on some lightly roasted barley with a lower SRM you could just combine it with the darker stuff until you have the right SRM.

Or you can just use the 600 SRM. your beer will come out darker and and the taste will come out more. You may just use a little less Roasted Barley as well.

As for your crush....... it depends on who you are. I aim for 5-10% flour, the trick is to grind it as fine as you can without breaking the husks. If you make a fine flour you will have a stuck mash and also those husks can make your beer taste bad if you grind up too many of them. hope that helps.

I really wouldnt worry about the barley. Just throw in the 600 and have a homebrew. You will be happy with your results and it may just be better than the 300SRM.

Oh, and one more thing. Only really lightly roasted barley will be light red. Im not sure, but i dont think a 300SRM would be red at all. should be black as coal.

Thanks, that helps. I'll be ordering a bunch 'o stuff from AHS for this recipe, so I'll just get their Black Roasted as well.

IMHO Roasted Barley has a lot more 'roasty' flavor than Black Barley.
I use an ounce of Black Barley to add some red color to my ESB.
But for a roasty stout I want a half pound of Roasted Barley.

Back