Road Trip: MN to Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
So sometime in the next few months I am going to be travelling from Minneapolis, MN to Killeen, TX to visit my brother at Ft Hood.

I want to do this as a road trip and see some stuff along the way. Brewpubs, Breweries, Historic landmarks, etc.

I just googled [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=minneapolis+to+killeen+tx&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.910968,81.738281&ie=UTF8&ll=38.822591,-94.921875&spn=25.192016,40.869141&z=5&om=1"]"Minneapolis to Killeen Texas"[/ame] but that isnt my set route. Im hoping some fellow HBTers could take a look at that link and get a general idea of whats along the way. This will be my longest road trip as of yet, the longest being from Minneapolis to Missoula Montana. Ive never been further south than Iowa in regards to the central states.

Any input is well appreciated! Maybe we will share a brew along the way!:mug:

mr_stimey said:
This will be my longest road trip as of yet

Ah, it's just down I-35 a ways. Since you are driving all this way, you need to come on down to Austin, see the Capital of Texas, 6th Street, Live Music, Barton Springs, Uncle Billy's Brew & Que, etc.

If you come down this way, I'll send you back with some brew, but ya gotta drop off a case for a buddy in Chanhassen.

EdWort said:
If you come down this way, I'll send you back with some brew, but ya gotta drop off a case for a buddy in Chanhassen.

Chanhassen MN? I work near there so that wouldnt be a problem, I did in fact plan on going to Austin so I may have to take you up on that deal!

mr_stimey said:
Chanhassen MN? I work near there so that wouldn't be a problem, I did in fact plan on going to Austin so I may have to take you up on that deal!

Ok, you betcha! Give me a couple months notice so I can brew a batch for my ice fishing buddies up dare, dont'cha know.

Uffda!

EdWort said:
Ok, you betcha! Give me a couple months notice so I can brew a batch for my ice fishing buddies up dare, dont'cha know.

Uffda!

You must have a killer Hamms recipe laying around then, eh?

This will probably be taking place in late March or April. Once I find out for sure I will let you know.

If Kansas City MO is theoretically your dinner stop in a 2-day trip, then you should make Omaha, NE your lunch stop for that day. I've never been to Upstream but I've heard it's fantastic. Lazlo's are my homeboys from Lincoln, but they have a location in Omaha too that is supposed to be just as fantastic. Try the Beer Quest Coffee Porter by Bob Catherall, one of the guys from my brew club.

Lazlo's Brewery & Grill - Omaha
2425 S 192nd Ave., Omaha, NE 68130
(402) 289-5840
http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/restaurants.html

Upstream Brewing
http://www.upstreambrewing.com/

Omaha may be a tad out of the way, but I have family in Lincoln so Ill probably be heading there sometime in the near future anyways, Ill check those places out at that point.

Well if you're coming to Lincoln anyways, then just go to the original Lazlo's downtown, the beer's fresher.

PM me whenever you make it to town, we'll have a beer.

Too bad you can't get to Omaha on this trip. Lunch at the Upstream is a good choice. They have really good lamb shank and lots of beer to choose from. We also have a few others including a Indian place named Jaipur Restaurant and Brewpub that is very interesting. For future reference, another Omaha stop is Beertopia (there is a bar and a beer store). Hundreds of beers from all over the world. A beer lovers dream come true all in one place. Okay, enough Omaha beer public relations, on with your trip planning.

Looks like you're going to be going through Des Moines and you might be ready for some food by then. Raccoon River Brewing Company is worth a stop. A nice place to spend some time but it's downtown. http://www.raccoonbrew.com/

The other one I've been to in Des Moines is Rock Bottom restaurant and brewery. They are a chain so you might have been to one but it's closer to the hwy and a nice stop. http://www.rockbottom.com/

OK, coming down 35 the only thing Oklahoma has to offer brewpub-wise is The Riverwalk where you can tour Tap Works and Coaches, then you come down to Norman and see coaches again. We finally have above 3.2%ABW but I have yet to see it for myself. The river walk is pretty cool though. Just so you know we aren't just about the cowboy museum.

I know it's a tad out of your way, but I it were me, I'd swing over to Springfield, MO. Then eat dinner at Lambert's..."Home of the throwed roll" is there logo. It's great. Everything you order from the menu is all you can eat, and they have these guys that throw rolls to you from the other side of the room. I know it's kind of corny, but they did make it on one of those top 10 places to eat shows on the Food Network.

I ate there several years ago, and hope to return some day. Also, if you're that close you might as well head south 1 hour, and take in a show in Branson.

Have a good trip!

When you're in KC and looking for BBQ, it's gotta be Arthur Bryants off of I-70 and Brooklyn. You won't regret it. Best...BBQ....Ever.

Oh, and it's not quite along 35 but a very short detour, try Free State Brewery in Lawrence and the Blind Tiger in Topeka.

And after you leave the brewpubs in KC, all of the restareas down the Kansas Turnpike have Mickey D's in them so you can stop and grab McChickenators every 50 miles or so...:D

Just an update on this, the plan is in the works and right now it looks like we will be heading down that way in May. We are still working out a weekend but so far May is the target.

So Edwort if you were going to brew a batch for your buddy in Chanhassen, try and shoot for it being ready by May =P

mr_stimey said:
Just an update on this, the plan is in the works and right now it looks like we will be heading down that way in May. We are still working out a weekend but so far May is the target.

So Edwort if you were going to brew a batch for your buddy in Chanhassen, try and shoot for it being ready by May =P

Very cool. Make some plans for some awesome steaks too. :rockin:

If you're passing through Kansas City and like sports memoribilia, you really need to check out Chappell's in North Kansas City. I don't know too many places you can find two Heismans, a Vince Lombardi trophy, a Golden Glove trophy, a World Series trophy, two Olympic torches, Ali signed boxing gloves, and more autographs by more sports giants in one place. It's like every Hall of Fame combined in one spot. They even have good food and a couple Boulevard beers on tap.

If the cowboy museum sounds good, also consider stopping at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco. It's right on I-35, at the visitor's center.

TL

Depending on how many days I can get off for this trip depends on how many stops along the way, I really want to spend a day in Kansas City so hopefully we can work that out.

Due to unforseeable circumstances beyond my control, I will not be making this trip in May. Postponed until further notice.

Latest posts

Back