RO water from the local aquarium store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
I just saw that the local aquarium and fish store sells RO water for 50 cent a gallon. I was wondering if this would be the same makeup as RO water for brewing purposes. If so thats not a bad deal.

I'm sure it's quality water. After all, RO water is RO water.

But, you can typically buy it at Walmart and grocery stores for much less. It's usually $0.25/gal around here.

Our water store sells RO water for 15 cents a gallon or 75 cents for 5 gallons. They also have a sanitizer at the store for the bottles before you fill them.

RO water is RO water, maybe in name only. Not all RO systems work at the same level of efficiency. The membrane sizes vary and the pressure & temperatures of the water when passing through the membrane greatly effect the TDS (total dissolved solids) that are flushed away. System maintenance plays a big factor as well in the quality of the water. You usually have a carbon pre & post filter that need to be changed at the proper interval. If the pressure in the system is way below spec and you have not changed the filters you essentially get water that is no different than the original input water.

Usually to get a quality brew it is recommended to start adding back certain minerals to RO water.

Back