RO system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As I learn about water profiles I realize that my water profile is good for darker beer but I like to brew light beers also. I find that I used a lot more RO water then I used to because I use it with my city water to bring some of the levels down to where they should be for lighter beers. I now get RO water from Glacier but wouldn't it be nicer to have on in my house to use anytime.
I have been looking at buying an RO system. I would probably want it to store about 3 - 10 gallons of water for brewing. I am looking for advice as to which one I should get. Also I understand that I would only need a 3 stage system as apposed to a 5 stage, does this sound right? Also if I wanted to store it like I do now is there any problems with storing it in a tight container for a month or so?
I will be happy to get everyone's opinion. I realize this probably has been asked many times on here, but I can't find much in the search.

The configuration of filter elements in front of the actual membrane is fairly dependent on source water. You'll surely want a sediment "pre-filter", then most likely one or two carbon blocks to deal with chlorine/chloramines almost always present in municipal or commercial water systems. But you don't need a DI element for brewing, and you probably don't need the "taste and odor" final carbon filter either, unless you'll be routing stored RO to a faucet or fridge.

In any case, I recommend starting a Conversation with Russ @Buckeye_Hydro as he can take your info and come up with a system that will exactly meet your needs. I would advise, however, obtaining a solid water analysis, prior to getting the ball rolling for maximum efficiency of need vs solution.

Russ helped me bring my original 5 element 50gpd system up to 100gpd, and add a bunch of efficiency and "membrane health" accessories to boot. I've been very pleased with the result - it does exactly what I need at a throughput that it practical for 10 gallon batches without spending inordinate amounts of time collecting brewing liquor...

Cheers!

@Buckeye_Hydro I'm getting ready to buy a system and would love some advice. looking at the premium RO system at the moment. I have a couple of these Amazon Link that I'll fill with the system. Do you have any auto shutoff systems that would potentially work with one of those containers? I'm having a utility sink installed along with a separate cold water hose bib installed in my basement on Monday so I'm a couple days away from pulling the trigger, just need to make sure I'm getting everything I need for it to work. Any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I started out adding a water float valve to a rubermaid 10 gallon Brute container.
I found it too awkward & heavy to lift so I added about 15 feet of RO tubing and fill my brew kettle directly with RO water using an adjustable bracket with a float valve. The night before a brew day I start filling the brew kettle and by morning I have adaquate RO water.

IMG_1472.JPG

If I need to store the RO water (usually for making starsan solution) I use the 5 gallon water jugs: 5 gallon water jug

@Buckeye_Hydro I'm getting ready to buy a system and would love some advice. looking at the premium RO system at the moment. I have a couple of these Amazon Link that I'll fill with the system. Do you have any auto shutoff systems that would potentially work with one of those containers? Any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Well the functioning of an auto shut off valve depends in part upon the use of a float valve (or some other type of valve at the pure water output). Because the containers you linked to have a narrow neck you can't get your hand into, you may have a tough time mounting a float valve in those containers. Would be easiest if you used different containers.
Float Valves - Buckeye Hydro

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity. Do these systems have to be hooked up continuously? Or can you put them on a cart and say hook it up as needed and disconnect them for storage? I've read mixed things about this...

I believe the issue with taking RO systems off-line is the membrane dries out with a load of brine in it. I believe one could fill a sanitized vessel large enough to hold the membrane cartridge with RO permeate for at least short term off-line storage (say weeks to maybe months?). But it would be great to hear from an authority like Russ @Buckeye_Hydro...

Cheers!

They do not need to be hooked up continuously. That said, there are some things you should also know:
  • If you connect and disconnect tubing from quick connect fittings repeatedly, they will likely start to leak. For that situation, use these instead: Coupling Assembly - Buckeye Hydro
  • You should run any RO system at least once a week.
  • If you want to mothball the system, remove the prefilters and let them air dry. Put the membrane in a preservative solution (we can provide), and keep the membrane wet.
Russ

Long enough the replace all the water inside the system - so it depends upon the size of your RO system. If we're talking about a residential scale system, 5 minutes ought to be fine.

Another vote for Russ @ Buckeye Hydro. I purchased the adjustable shutoff valve, rigged it for my system and purchased this holding tank to capture the waste water. The waste water is then used for the initial cooling of the wort by pumping it through a pre-chiller (old IC set in cooler w/ice water) ahead of the PC, then into the emptied MT for system cleanup when finished. Once I fill the MT with the hot water, the waste water goes back into the holding tank along with any additional cooling water and used for watering plants… no waste.
E31F3BB0-6371-4F61-9F02-F5F9CB8DDC98.jpeg
03CF934C-AAC1-442C-80D6-6B56AF805FAA.jpeg

Back