RO and RO/DI Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
As you can see this is my first post and I may be buying a starter kit tonight and starting my first batch tomorrow. I dont know anyone who has ever done this so I am green. Question is I have an RO unit that I used for my salt water reef aqarium that I no longer use, but is still hooked up. I have been lurking here for a few days and see varying views on the whole water and bacteria thing. Can I use the RO water and is it any better or worse? Also I have heard you should not drink RO water that is de-ionized but that is straight from the unit as it will deplete things out of your body. Wondering if I use the RO water would the DI be any better as you are putting a lot of things back into the water through the whole brewing process?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

RO water is absolutely perfect! I just bought an RO unit myself (no saltwater aquarium, though, just brewing) because it's great to start with non-chlorinated pure water for brewing. Alkalinity is my issue- I have great tasting water but it's high in bicarbonate so I've been buying RO water from the store and hauling it home to mix with my tap water. An RO unit already installed is great.

I'd love to have an RO system for my beer. I brew AG and I'd have to add a few minerals, but extract already has the minerals the yeast need, so it's ready to use.

Homercidal,

Your not far from me as I am here in Rockford. Go Bulldogs on Saturday. I spent my first year of college there before transferring to MSU. Can say that is where I learned to drink the product we all enjoy here.

I will try the RO water first does anyone think the DI will be a problem? I can take the water before or after the DI filters at I have 2 in series as I wanted 0 TDS water for the aquarium. Starting TDS is 209 and after DI is 0 and about 10-20 before DI, but I need to recheck that.

Homercidal,

Your not far from me as I am here in Rockford. Go Bulldogs on Saturday. I spent my first year of college there before transferring to MSU. Can say that is where I learned to drink the product we all enjoy here.

I will try the RO water first does anyone think the DI will be a problem? I can take the water before or after the DI filters at I have 2 in series as I wanted 0 TDS water for the aquarium. Starting TDS is 209 and after DI is 0 and about 10-20 before DI, but I need to recheck that.

You can use the DI or the RO without any issue. The small amount of TDS in RO water is fine, but the DI is fine too. If it was just as easy, I'd take the water before the DI.

Dogs have a hard fight in front of them, but it's amazing they had the drive to do what they've done so far this season. I think they just need to relax and go out and have fun. BC is an incredible hockey campus. There would be no surprise if they won.

Ferris State is truly an underDOG in this game! (Pun intended. no apologies offered.)

Back