Ritebrew Extract Kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plissken

Reaction score
Pretty new brewer here. I've noticed extract kits on Ritebrew are cheaper than elsewhere, sometimes half the price of Northern Brewer. I've noticed that their ABV is often a little low, such as being ~4% compared instead of in the 5s. I've also noticed in most of their higher ABV beers they use a significant amount of corn sugar in place of malt extract.

What's the consensus on Ritebrew kits? Are they not as good as Northern Brewer? Will the corn sugar negatively effect the flavor of these beers?

I haven't bought any kits from Ritebrew but I do a fair bit of business with them (they're local so shipping is free) and I'm happy.

Quite a few higher ABV styles can use 10-20% sugar, like some strong porters or big belgian styles. The sugar will raise ABV without adding a lot to the mouthfeel, which can keep a beer from getting too heavy. If you don't want the extra ABV, it probably won't hurt too much.

If you are looking at a beer under 6%, I'd be concerned about a high proportion of sugar but a half-pound or pound shouldn't be a problem (up to 2-3 for a tripel at 9-10% ABV).

Northern's prices have crept up over the years, and that may be part of it as well.

I bought and brewed many kits from ritebrew. All were good, I don't remember many coming with sugar though. The base kit prices don't include yeast, priming sugar, or caps though. Which is nice IMO, table sugar is cheaper and just as effective as dextrose for priming. Caps are cheaper in bulk.

Regarding the abv, I just scanned through the website and nothing really jumped out at me as being low for the style.

I've noticed this too and am seriously considering ordering the Bavarian hefe kit ($17!!). I've never ordered a kit from Ritebrew but I have ordered grains and extract from them to put my own recipes together. In my experience, their service and quality has been top notch.

I've ordered three kits, which raged from $15 (wheat) to $30 (dubbel). I'll report back how they are.

I wonder why there are dozens and dozens of reviews on every Northern Brewer kit, yet very few (if any) on the Ritebrew ones.

Thanks for this thread. I hadn't heard of Ritebrew before. I ended up buying a Kolsch Extract from them that I had been price shopping around. I'll brew it up in March.

Bill

Checked the site. Good recipes and good prices on supplies, especially PBW and Starsan. Shipping costs and delivery time are better than Northern Brewer for small orders. I would normally take advantage of NBs flat rate shipping with a bulk order. NBs once in a while specials, like a free fermentor with a $75 order and flat rate shipping, can't be beat.
Might try Ritebrews Amber Ale, different hops combination than what I am brewing now.

I recently ordered several DME kits from them. What surprised me was no steeping grains? In the past I have bought kits from AHS and everyone of them had steeping grains. Ritebrew does have great prices and once you have your recipes, you can just order the ingredients from them and is cheaper than getting a kit.

I recently ordered several DME kits from them. What surprised me was no steeping grains? In the past I have bought kits from AHS and everyone of them had steeping grains. Ritebrew does have great prices and once you have your recipes, you can just order the ingredients from them and is cheaper than getting a kit.

When I was doing extract kits, ritebrew's kits were slightly cheaper than buying the ingredients individually. Also many of their kits do have steeping grains. You must have bought the few that don't.

Checked the site. Good recipes and good prices on supplies, especially PBW and Starsan. Shipping costs and delivery time are better than Northern Brewer for small orders. I would normally take advantage of NBs flat rate shipping with a bulk order. NBs once in a while specials, like a free fermentor with a $75 order and flat rate shipping, can't be beat.
Might try Ritebrews Amber Ale, different hops combination than what I am brewing now.

Looks like you are a in wi, be sure to check out the Speedee delivery option. If I place my order before noon it is delivered by the time I get home from work the next day.

Definitely off topic, but did you notice the price on the Perlick 650ss faucets? What a great price. I ordered 2.

Back