rising bubbles in bottle while carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmxncbv

Reaction score
bottled my first brew 24 hours ago and used carbonation drops that came with my kit to carbonate.

I can see rising bubbles in the bottles and a small ammount of bubbles at the top of the beer.

I have read that rising bubbles in a sealed bottle indicates an air leak, is this correct or is everything I am witnessing completely normal?

Thanks guys.

I have never seen bubbles rising in bottles, with the cap on. Something is not right, but I cannot say what. Try to put one bottle under water and see if it bubbles...you should be able to see if it's leaking or not.

held it under water and nothing. have to look pretty closely to see the rising bubbles but what is the science that says there should be none when the cap is on?

Soon after capping, CO2 will be produced and rise to surface increasing the CO2/air gas headspace pressure. Some CO2 will absorb on its way up. Once pressure builds in headspace, more CO2 will simply dissolve rather than rise to surface. Generally speaking, a week on if you still see bubbles I'd be surprised.

Back