RIS for 6 month aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
So I'm going out of the country in a few weeks until December. I want to make an RIS that I can secondary till then. Then I'll probably put it on tap. What ABV would you go for? I was thinking between 10-10.5%. What kind of attenuation should I expect using US-05 for a beer this big, say 148F mash temp?

1.100 to 1.020 will get you about 10.5% ABV but I think that mashing at 148* and using a good starter or 2-3 packs of US-05 would go lower than 1.020.

If you are going to mash that low with a good attenuater like US-05, I would shoot for 1.090 and ending at 1.013 to get about 10% ABV and 85% attenuation.

I went from 1.095 to 1.020 with WLP002 or 79% attenuation with a yeast that is suppose to average 67% attenuation with a mash temp of 149 on my RIS. So don't be suprised if you see 85-90% attenuation if you mash that low and use US-05.

Thanks for the help. I was just rethinking that mash temp after looking back at how US-05 chewed a couple of my IIPAs. I should really make graphs charting attenuation vs mash temp for the yeasts I use a lot.

Thanks for the help. I was just rethinking that mash temp after looking back at how US-05 chewed a couple of my IIPAs. I should really make graphs charting attenuation vs mash temp for the yeasts I use a lot.

That is not a bad thing though, (I)IPAs should finish low and with a RIS starting at a high gravity, you need a yeast that will eat a lot of it so you don't end up at like 1.030. I think around 1.020 would be a good FG number to shoot for.

I agree with everything mentioned so far. For an added component of complexity, try introducing a *slight* amount of air while racking to the secondary. This will develop a nice, dark fruit/date/raisin-y flavor & aroma. A RIS i did that way did well in a high-gravity competition a while back. 6-months aging is a good time, too.

Back