RIS: final gravity too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbelow

Reaction score
A friend and I brewed an 8 gallon batch of russian imperial stout, split it between two primaries and added a 1.5 packs of safale 04 to each. The OG was 1.100 and after a month in the primaries it has stopped at 1.030. This seems a little high and we don't it to be too sweet. We've heard of guys adding champagne yeast in instances like this but we're worried about the gravity dropping too much. Advice?

That'll probably be relatively sweet, but 1.030 is in the style range (very top) for an RIS's fg. Jamil Z. in Brewing Classic Styles has a RIS recipe that finishes at 1.030. His OG is close too, at 1.098.

the RIS i brewed pretty much matched your parameters exactly, and I'm quite pleased with it. I think you're where you want to be.

Champagne will not do anything. It only consumes simple sugars, which are already gone. It is also a killer yeast, so if you want to try other yeast after the champagne yeast, you will be out of luck.

I think you should stop worrying so much it's gonna be great. The newb you brewed it with says rdwhahb lol

Back