RIS f.g. too high?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sagnew440

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a RIS based on Stone recipe in BYO a while back. I used part of a yeast cake of wlp028 into a 3L starter. Ferment went okay but stalled at 1.038 because it got to cold. I warmed it up a few degrees and roused the yeast and it started back up. Now its at 1.032 and starting to clear. The og was 1.091. Right now it is sitting around 7.9%. I was hoping to have it drop to the mid to high 20's. I have a pack of notty I could rehydrate and toss in. It doesn't taste real sweet, I just don't want bottle bombs. Thanks

Nateo

Reaction score
I'd use a very large/active starter. A single pack of notty won't do much, if anything. Or, pitch onto a yeast cake of some other beer.

You're at 65% attenuation, which isn't great, but it depends on your mash schedule. Without knowing your recipe I can't begin to predict what your FG might be.

OP
sagnew440

sagnew440

Reaction score
Heres the recipe

17 lb 2-row
2 lb Amber Malt
1.25lb Roasted Barley
8 oz Black malt

2 oz Chinook (11.5) @ 60
Mash 150 for 60 min boil for 75 min

Nateo

Reaction score
Yeah, you should probably be more around th 75% range. I'd make a 1-2g "starter" beer and pitch the RIS onto the yeast cake from that batch.

GuldTuborg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If it tastes fine, the I wouldn't worry. If you've given it enough time, and it really is done, then you don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

Here's what I'd do. Transfer it to another carboy after at least 3-4 weeks in the primary. The transfer process usually rouses the yeast better than anything else. Keep it at 70F or a bit higher. Give it a month like that. Then reevaluate.

josers

Reaction score
I had an imperial stout with similiar OG that stalled around 1.030.. which is a little on the high side but i tried one the other day, and IT WAS GOOD! It was alittle sweet for me (at bottling), but turned out well after being in the bottle for 3 weeks.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
I would make a new starter, add some yeast energizer, and oxygenate the hell out of the starter before adding.

Latest posts