RIS blowoff or two fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penabrewchef

Reaction score
I am planning in brewing an RIS and only have a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket and a 5 gallon carboy. Anticipating a huge kreusen I plan to do a 5.5 g batch. Splitting half to the bucket and the other half to the carboy. Then after kreusen drops racking to the bucket to finish fermenting. Then sfter three weeks or when the ffg stops moving ill retaxk to the carboy with bourbon soaked chips for a few months. Does this sound like a good plan?

I did something very similar but I opted for a 6 gallon batch. Split it between 2 6 gallon carboys for primary and then moved it to a 5 gallon carboy for secondary. I needed almost all of the 6 gallon batch to fill the secondary. If I had done a 5.5 gallon batch I don't think I would have been able to fill the secondary.

I have your same problem. I am planning a huge barleywine and I know its going to be explosive when it ferments. I was wondering the same thing, two fermentors or one blowoff into a huge collection vessel. I think either one will work and it pretty much boils down preference. Im kinda learning towards 2 fermentors so i don't loose much beer from the blowoff.

That was my thinking two fermenters means less spilt beer. Plus with the huge og of 1.95 I am aiming for. The nutrients from the kreusen could help prevent stuck fermentation if I can't aerate the wort enough.

I've done 2 huge RIS with no blow off. I fermented cooler so that might have helped.

Back