Riptide Pump Position Relative to Source/Destination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwagon

Reaction score
I need some clarification on what the optimal position of a Riptide pump (or any pump like it) should be relative to my liquid source and destination.

I know the pump needs to be below the source but by how far? Is there a general rule of thumb I can use to have the optimal height and length of hose (on both sides, really).

I found a great video of this pump in action so I must be doing something wrong, and my expectation about pumping 6-7 feet vertical doesn't seem off. I am following the very basic instructions concerning priming, etc - but maybe I'm not doing enough.

So - at present, I am underwhelmed at the pumping power. Before I pin it on the device, if I need to change my setup to optimize what it can do, I'm all for it. In the technology world, when there's an issue but it's not with the technical stuff, we call that a "PICNIC" - Problem in Chair Not in Computer". Perhaps we have a PICNIC here - that's fine - I'd rather have that than a $150 paperweight...

Regards

Last edited:
Mag pump heads are dependent on the total volume being filled with fluid. If there is entrained air they'll never develop their full lift capability. So orient the head with the input pointing at the floor and provide a way to let the pump head prime.

I think 12" drop from a kettle valve is plenty, it just has to be a drop so gravity can flood the pump head. And keep any elbows at least 5X the piping ID from the pump input - ie: don't stick an elbow directly on the pump. Ideally you want a good straight shot of at least a few inches into the pump...

Cheers!

Mag pump heads are dependent on the total volume being filled with fluid. If there is entrained air they'll never develop their full lift capability. So orient the head with the input pointing at the floor and provide a way to let the pump head prime.

I think 12" drop from a kettle valve is plenty, it just has to be a drop so gravity can flood the pump head. And keep any elbows at least 5X the piping ID from the pump input - ie: don't stick an elbow directly on the pump. Ideally you want a good straight shot of at least a few inches into the pump...

Cheers!
Thanks for the input! I ran another test transfer with one unit on the kitchen counter, the pump on the floor, and three feet of supply-side hose. It seemed to work a bit better as I was able to lift the water back up to counter height and into the sink through seven feet of hose on the other end.

I will work to ensure there is no air in the head, and I will likely shorten the supply side for brew day.

Back