Riptide issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the pump for about 4 months now after replacing a chugger pump that failed. Overall it's a great pump, but I have been struggling with it since day 1. Every time I reassemble it and try to run my HLT water through, it leaks. I've tried spraying it with starsan and I've tried running cool water through it. No matter what I do, the first time I run +140f water through there it leaks. I want to get a second one to make lautering easier (having 2 of the same pumps), but I cringe at the though of wort leaking out EVERY time I use the thing.

I'm sure I am doing something wrong but anyone got some suggestions to help me out?

TIA.

Check the large red/orange gasket. Found a small tear in one and had to replace. Likely happened during cleaning.

^ My first guess would also be the large orange seal. its no different than a bad corny keg or tri clamp seal. if theres damage or a defect , depending on where it lies when you reassemble it will leak.. Also I dont see what starsan or cool water would do to possibly stop the leak?

Ive been lucky with mine but Ive only used it for water tests at the brewpub.

Ok. Thanks all. So basically I’ll just trying tightening like hell and hope for the best. I’ve never cleaned it other than a spray of starsan since it’s only ever been touched by water and no sugars.

I wouldnt bother with even the starsan myself it does nothing for the hot side components... its not really good for rubber and im not sure if its rubber or silicone that the seal is made of.

I would inspect the seal for damage.

Back