Rip - brewdog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AF1HomeBrew

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I had to put down my BrewDog. An Akita, Pika loved brewing....or at least napping in the garage while I was brewing - that has to count for dedication in my book. Today I needed to raise a liter (or so...) of the Scottish Ale that she helped brew back in early November. Although a proper stout would describe her physical attributes (brindle & ready to rumble with anyone that wanted to take her on), I honor her with this Scottish Ale (from Gordon Strong's Modern Homebrew Recipes p.106, but modified with some added Honey Malt), while low in ABV - around 5% - the maltiness of this beer matched Pika's Overwhelming Presence, Smile, Love and Bark (for UPS and FedEx Drivers!)! She will be missed. Around young children she was like a marshmallow...

Pika_3920.jpg

Pika_0862.jpg

Pika_20151226.jpg

Pika_4954.jpg

sa.jpg

Pika_waiting4bus.jpg

You let her go with her dignity and in the presence of those she loved most. I commend you for loving her that much!
May she find peace in the clearing at the end of her path!

Thanks! Pika will be missed. Are there any other BrewDogs that need to be remembered? I am sure she isn't lonely up there.

Van Morrison said it best and it was Pika's Theme song..."With you, my brown-eyed girl, You, my brown-eyed girl"

Killian my Catahula hound mix who could time a 60 minute mash down to the minute to show up for his handful of grains left us in February. He never did get the hang of a 90 minute mash.

Willow our little Shepard mix who would drop at your feet for a belly rub passed in July.

Conan The Barbarian Bassett left us on the 23rd. He loved rolling on the carpet so much we sent a patch to be cremated with him.

Pika is having the time of her life with my three and many others.

Killian my Catahula hound mix who could time a 60 minute mash down to the minute to show up for his handful of grains left us in February. He never did get the hang of a 90 minute mash.

Willow our little Shepard mix who would drop at your feet for a belly rub passed in July.

Conan The Barbarian Bassett left us on the 23rd. He loved rolling on the carpet so much we sent a patch to be cremated with him.

Pika is having the time of her life with my three and many others.

I am sure of that now - Pika is not alone (as I suspected) - I'm sure Killan, Willon, Conan, Pika & others are brewing up something for all of us; between fighting over who's turn it is to take a nap... Thank you to all for sharing your thoughts!

It's only been a day, but after so many years (13) it is amazing the little things that come out at you after they have passed. Making sure they have enough food & water, the weather (if they stay outside, like Pika), etc... Especially since I work from home and Pika was either outside enjoying a nap on our deck if the weather was nice, or 2" behind my Herman Miller chair in my office so that I couldn't peel away from my computer.... I guess she was an Efficiency Manager, making sure I was always working!

Sorry to hear that. Losing any member of the family is never easy. I lost my brewing companion TJ on Christmas Eve of all days. Always one with a smile, he thankfully didn't suffer and will not be forgotten.

Here's him politely asking me to keep it down while he sleeps.

Picture 499.jpg

As I ponder how to replace my BrewDog - Pika, I am wondering what breed to get next.... Before Pika (Akita) we had an an Alaskan Malamute and if she got out of the fenced in area (1 acre) we'd be looking for hours and miles for her and a group of other dogs cruising the area (We are in the fly-over-state-of-Illinois;lots of farmland to cover).... I'm starting to see the appreciation for Pika's (Akita) dedication at staying close to home... Because of the winter conditions at this time, we'll probably look at replacing Pika in the late Spring... Because of our location we like to have Big Dogs around (the German Shepherd/Pony/Retired Police Dog "Joe" and Lab "Wrigley" a 10th of a mile away let us know of any pending activities), Anyone have any suggestions as to where we should look for a replacement? My immediate thinking is another Akita or maybe another Alaskan Malamute (if I could get something like what is available in Galena,IL @ Plumery Tails https://www.facebook.com/PlumeryTails/?fref=ts&ref=br_tf the search would be over). We've been to Plumery Tails several times and it amazes me to see dogs the size of small ponies and so tame... Until then I'm thinking Akita.

Pika1321.jpg

PikaTruckRide.jpg

Pika_4844.jpg

PikaSmile_2402.jpg

For something this sad I had to break out a Belgian Dark for a toast to Pika.. cheers to Pika.

I had to put down one of my brew buddies a few months ago and it is very difficult. You really get attached to the little bastages..Still miss him. The new little replacement is already getting used to us. Now we just have to slow the little terrorist....I mean terrier.. down a little.

@AF1HomeBrew, how are you and the family doing today? It's never easy, time does help lesson the hurt in the heart. Problem is it just takes too damn long and never really goes away.

From your posts I can tell Pika lived the life of Royalty, just like all pets should. I can just see her lying in the sun proclaiming "I'm tired of this game, you fetch the ball while I watch."
Sorry to make you laugh and cry at the same time, but this is helping me too. Thank you for allowing me to share.

I'm off to pour a glass of my Belgian Strong to toast Pika and all the others we have lost.

Latest posts

Back