Rinsing Wyeast 3191 PC Berliner-Weisse Blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint04

Reaction score
I pulled a sample of my Berliner the other day, and I was really impressed what a pack of Wyeast 3191 did to it (http://www.wyeastlab.com/PC-2012-3qtr.cfm). It was slightly tart, had a bit of basement-like funk, and had a great lemony flavor. It has been two months since I pitched the pack. It recently started developing a pellicle, so I am going to give it at least another month before I bottle.

When I bottle, can I rinse the Blend for future use? I know it's a seasonal Wyeast strain, and I would like to keep a Berliner in my pipeline at all times. I am wondering what will happen if I go to reuse it and have to step it up in a starter (will it limit the tartness in future batches?).

Also, When I bottle this in a month, does anyone recommend adding dry yeast at bottling, or should I be good to go?

I pulled a sample of my Berliner the other day, and I was really impressed what a pack of Wyeast 3191 did to it (http://www.wyeastlab.com/PC-2012-3qtr.cfm). It was slightly tart, had a bit of basement-like funk, and had a great lemony flavor. It has been two months since I pitched the pack. It recently started developing a pellicle, so I am going to give it at least another month before I bottle.

When I bottle, can I rinse the Blend for future use? I know it's a seasonal Wyeast strain, and I would like to keep a Berliner in my pipeline at all times. I am wondering what will happen if I go to reuse it and have to step it up in a starter (will it limit the tartness in future batches?).

Also, When I bottle this in a month, does anyone recommend adding dry yeast at bottling, or should I be good to go?

What temps did you use for fermenting/aging? I've got a 3191 BW that I brewed about 6 months ago, I just recently pulled a sample and its tart, but not quite as sour as I'd hoped for. The last 3-4 months its been sitting at around 64 F and I'm thinking that might just be too cool for this strain.

I plan to bottle with a little wine yeast as I like BW to be very effervescent.

I've never reused any wyeast except for Roeselare but I would be comfortable reusing it. The only issue is it's a mixed yeast so the ratio of lacto, Sach, and Brett will go out of whack eventually. I'd say it'd be fine to re-use once or twice but eventually you'll need to buy a new packet. Who knows the new ratio could be more to your liking and your future BWs will be even better.

Per Wyeast: This blend includes a German ale strain with low ester formation and a dry, crisp finish. The Lactobacillus included produces moderate levels of acidity. The unique Brettanomyces strain imparts a critical earthy characteristic that is indicative of a true Berliner Weisse. When this blend is used, expect a slow start to fermentation as the yeast and bacteria in the blend is balanced to allow proper acid production. It generally requires 3-6 months of aging to fully develop flavor characteristics. Use this blend with worts containing extremely low hopping rates.

This tells me there is very little sacc in the mix. It is done this way to allow the Lactobacillus to get a head start before the yeast kicks in and starts making alcohol. Once you have alcohol, the Lactobacillus really slows down.

Your cake is now predominately sacc. Reusing some of the cake will be like reusing any other cake, where you will get a quick start. If you re-use it, the Lactobacillus will take much longer to get going, and will will take much longer to sour. The Brett will be more predominant the second time around. If you are willing to wait a long time (6 to 12 months or more), the Brett in it may produce an interesting beer.

Back