Rinsing bottles with a bleach solution.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
Right, so I have a batch of recycled bottles I mixed in a bleach (unscented clorox, iirc) solution, just bleach and water. Did this for a few hours, then I had to leave rather quickly, so I took them out to dry, and left them. This was two weeks ago. Didn't rinse them. I have a 2nd batch of bottles that I soaked with oxyclean (rather cheap at costco, btw) for a good while, followed by a good rinse. I plan on bottling my first batch next week (w00t!). Should I soak the living hell out of my bleach cleaned bottles in water before going through the iodophor sanitizing?

And, since I like to combine questions for the sake of efficiency...I'm thinking of going for a fruit wheat for my 3rd batch, is the process any more tedious than a standard mini-mash kit?

Thanks HBT, as always. :mug:

Definitely rinse the hell out of them. Then ditch the bleach and get a bottle scrubber and a jet bottle washer. Best invetment I ever made.

I have my scrubber already, I just get too lazy at times to use it. I'm going to use all the oxyclean rinsed bottles before getting into my bleached bottles I guess. Stuff wreaks of chlorine.

The act of sanitizing with iodophor should effectively rinse any bleach from the bottles. Here's something you can try: fill one of your bleached bottles about 1/2 full of water and shake, then taste. If there's no chlorine flavor or scent from that, then a quick go-round with iodophor or starsan will be more than enough.

Yeah, it was all I had around the house for my cleaning after finding some bottles that day. My hands wreaked of chlorine for days...but it got the job done. Labels came off, eventually :p

Bleach is a hassle.

Blast them out with a jet bottle washer, add a squirt or two of Star San from a spray bottle and hang them on a bottle tree, no rinsing required. Once you get into the habit of rinsing after you open them they'll clean up easily and bottling won't be as much of a chore.

Tom

I don't bottle anymore but when I did I only used beach to clean and sanitize.

After a soak, into the dishwasher, no detergent and the heat dry cycle. Cozy up a chair next to the dishwasher and put the bottle bucket on the counter and pull bottles direct from the dishwasher and fill/cap.

I've never had an infection and bottled beer for 10 years this way. The dishwasher makes a great bottle tree and does the rinsing for you!

also, when the bottles get consumed, rinse them thoroughly at that time. Clean IMMEDIATELY after draining, and then you need only sanitize prior to refilling.

don't even need a real cleanser...hot water should get all the solids out of the bottle.

Back