rings in carboy - PICTURE included!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys,

i have a quick question about this IPA that im brewing. i bought this IPA kit from a nearby brewshop and i used some belgian yeast after i brewed this batch last saturday. it has been bubblin' like crazy for the last couple days. my airlock overflowed so i utilized a blow-off tube for two days. when the bubbling mellowed out a little bit, i replaced the blow-off tube with my original (sanitized!) airlock yesterday.

i was checking on this bad boy this afternoon when i noticed some rings around the carboy that were not there last time i checked. granted, it might have been a day or two since i checked, but im just worried that i messed something up. ive been trying to be extremely careful, but im hoping that this is "normal".

any help would be awesome. i hope that this is normal. im about to "sample" some of the beer and hopefully it doesnt taste harrrrrible.

here is the pic:

thank goodness dillinja. i havent brewed beer since 2009, so im glad that its normal. thanks for the quick reply (queply?)

let it ride for a bit before sampling, it would probably taste "not so good" right now. looks like you've got a good ferment going, and yes those rings are just yeast "sticking" to the side of the carboy.

Lightly tap or agatate the carboy a day or two before racking, that'll dislodge the yeast so it can settle to the bottom, else you might suck it up as you rack.

let it ride for a bit before sampling, it would probably taste "not so good" right now. looks like you've got a good ferment going, and yes those rings are just yeast "sticking" to the side of the carboy.

Agreed. You still have active fermentation going on. No point sampling now. It won't be pretty and you're risking infection for no good reason. Patience grasshopper.

Just sediment on the sides. I have seen certain clear bottles due this as well after I have bottled. You should be in good shape.

using the bottom of the carboy as a the pivot point, you can turn it gently back and forth 5 to 10 degrees it will fall to the bottom. you should be able to do that on the carpet, just don't splash!

all of you guys have been great. thanks for all of the replies. im planning on just letting it chill for a couple more weeks- maybe around august 13th- that puts it in there for 3 weeks total. im not planning on going to a secondary since its an IPA.

im going to try to rock it gently to dislodge the settled yeast to the bottom. lets see how this goes!

using the bottom of the carboy as a the pivot point, you can turn it gently back and forth 5 to 10 degrees it will fall to the bottom. you should be able to do that on the carpet, just don't splash!

that did the trick!!!!! thanks a lot broseph!!

If you bottle the same thing can happen in your bottles. I give all my bottles a sharp 1/2 turn after a week of conditioning to let the yeast release and settle, works fine.

Back