Rims vs herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewey

Reaction score
I was looking to build a RIMS tube and had some questions. Everyone talked about scorching the wort with the electric element, but there is a lot of people using electric element to boil with isn't this kinda going to do the same thing? Just a question that is why I am asking.
One other question is if I would go with a HERMS that use the HLT to heat the wort, witch is a good idea I like all that. But were do u get the water to sparge with? HLT water will be to hot if you do a step sparge? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

As long as you keep your wurt moving through your RIMS tube fast enough scorching is not an issue.

With HERMS you use the HLT water to sparge. One nice thing about HERMS is your sparge water is ready as soon as your mash is done.

I've read a lot of people use a 240v element in their RIMS tube but only run it at 110v so it isn't running as hot. And as long as your wort continues to be moved through your RIMS tube at a decent pace it shouldn't have time to scorch it.

I don't recall ever seeing a step in a mash being higher in temp than the temp of the sparge water. As long as that holds true the temp of the water in your HLT while using it for the HERMS will always be a little lower than the temp of the water you will want when you start sparging.

Ok thank you for the reply

I wasn't suer how much higher the HLT water temp would have to be in order to keep the temp of the wort up. I was assuming it would have to be around 10 deg or so higher then the wort temp.

Back