Rims tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nediver

Reaction score
I have been redesigning my brew system. I am looking for ways to speed some things up and tighten up my process.

I am going to build a MLT out of 10g Igloo and I want to incorperate a RIMS tube from Brewers Hardware.

In addition I was going to make a seperate heatstick to speed up the HLT process and getting BK to boil.

While its cheap and easy to make a heatstick, I was wondering if I could use the RIMS tube for all.

So I envision the following:

Propane and RIMS to get HLT to strike
RIMS for Mash Rest (Cooler)
Propane to bring HLT to Sparge temp
RIMS for Mash out (Cooler)
Sparge
RIMS and Propane BK to boil, Shut off RIMS once boil is reached

What limitations am I not thinking about, would this work without being a huge PITA. Would the RIMS become dangerous at boiling temps

Also what connections does everyone recommended?

not sure what your gaining by recircing your water through the tube. seems like the propane would get the job done quicker; you are going to generate some heat loss through the piping and movign the water. Sounds like a small trial would be needed.

In regards to your set-up this all depends on how many burners you have, how many pumps, etc. if you are using your RIMs tube for all this your piping might get a bit complicated.

Forget the RIMS for the HLT and boil. Just use gas and a thermometer. If you are using the RIMS tube to introduce heat to help you get to temp--it won't work very well. Propane rocks for that though.

I introduced a RIMS tube into the rig recently and find it works wonders for keeping your mash temps constant (if you have a pump, heating element and temp controller along with it). I no longer use gas to keep the mash temp where I need it.

Regarding mashout, just use propane to heat up your HLT again and get the mash as high as you can. I like to go to 180 or so for mashout water temp.

RIMS tube complicates things a bit, but gives you that control your girlfriend/wife wishes you had :)

Back