RIMS Tube Sparge Out Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sch21c

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting dialed in to my new single tier RIMS system. Until I get another pump and some sort of sparge arm, I'm doing batch sparging.

I've got a question on the best way to do the mash out. The way I'm thinking about it, I can do the mash out one of two ways:

1) Do my regular RIMS mash at whatever temperature I'm mashing at (say 152F) for the proper time (60 minutes), then use the RIMS tube to raise the temp to the mash out temp (say 168F). Then batch sparge with the same temp liquor (168F).

OR

2) Do regular RIMS mash for 60 minutes at 152F and drain, then sparge with 168F.

Method 2 would be somewhat quicker, as I wouldn't have to raise the temp of the wort in the mash tun.

Any thoughts on this before I run some batches with each to see if it makes a difference?

Batch spargers usually don't do a traditional mashout.
I do #2... mash normally and then sparge with 168F water and call it good.
Mashout is more important with fly sparging because it takes longer.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn't cutting a corner on a step that mattered.

I don't have a RIMS set up but I do batch sparge and method 2 is along the line of what I do and I get solid effeciencies.

Back