RIMS tube or RIMS rocket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHeadFred

Reaction score
Looking at buy either a rims tube or RIMS rocket for my electric system. Which one works better and or what is the best priced ones to buy?

I have a 1.5" rims tube with tri clover flanges. It's been working great other than additional cleanup. I've heard mixed reviews on the Rocket. I've seen people build them up on the cheap but I went with the polished stainless tubes that had triclover flanges. https://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-Clover-RIMS-Tube.html
There is a lot of additional cost to consider, PID control, mounting,Element and housing,Thermowell list goes on.

Yea I have been thinking of the rims rube instead too. I was looking at that tube from brewershardware. Thank you for your help

I have a 1.5" rims tube with tri clover flanges. It's been working great other than additional cleanup. I've heard mixed reviews on the Rocket. I've seen people build them up on the cheap but I went with the polished stainless tubes that had triclover flanges. https://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-Clover-RIMS-Tube.html
There is a lot of additional cost to consider, PID control, mounting,Element and housing,Thermowell list goes on.

I use a similar setup, i.e. 1.5" tube, but with 1/2" NPT ports with flared barbs for wort input and output. I saved money by using the same tri-clamp mounted heating element (straight element, stainless steel base) and controller (still dragon DIY build) for my boil kettle, I just switch out the element when I'm done with the mash. For mounting, I took advantage of the holes already present in the triclamps, and just sit them on hooks that I mounted on my brew bench.
Also, to continue on the cheapskate theme, I use a tri-clamp mounted dial thermometer to monitor RIMS tube temps and manually adjuster controller settings as needed.

M

Metric...could you send me a picture of your rims setup please. Thanks

Sure, but sorry for the poor pic quality. The RIMS tube is hanging below my cooler mash tun, with my 220V controller out of picture on the right. The dial thermometer is mounted via tri-clamp on the left of the tube. My pump is pushing the wort through the RIMS and up into a port on my cooler lid. Inside the cooler I am using a flexible sparge arm for wort return (www.brewhardware.com/product_p/mashrecirculation.htm).

When I am done with the mash, I disconnect the element from the RIMS, add it to my boil kettle, and then gravity feed the wort into my kettle prior to the boil.

It's not pretty, but gets the job done! :mug:

M

IMG_2185.jpg

I am facing the same decision though I am in no immediate hurry to pull the trigger on either.

Some of the criteria I've found:
The Rims-Rocket is more expensive ($269) than the 1.5" brewhardware rims tube I'm considering ($158). The Rim-Rocket needs an adapter for its temp probe ($38) whereas the rims tube needs a SS heating element which is probably around $30 at most. Optionally to mount the Rims-Rocket a $70 mounting bracket (outrageous IMO) is available whereas TC mounts for the rims tube are $14 for 2. In terms of cost a WIN for rims tube

The Rims-Rocket will double as a hopback, albeit a relatively expensive one. In terms of multiple uses a WIN for Rims-Rocket

Cleaning either piece of equipment looks to be about the same so TIE

The other costs such as PID controller box, probe, pump, tubing, QDs, and stand or table are probably the same for either option.

So I need to decide whether an unmounted Rims-Rocket at just over $300 is preferable to a mounted SS TC rims tube at just under $200. I am leaning towards the rims tube option since for much less than $100 I think I could buy or build a nice hop back. If I can create my own mount for the Rims-rocket for a lot less than $70 I might consider that option but I don't see it being practical to build such a mount without a Rims-rocket already in hand.

I am leaning towards the rims tube. Need some help deciding which one to buy. Either the one from brewershardware.com or brewhardware.com. I also need to figure our what thermowell will be able to house a Johnson A419 controller.

I have the 2" brewers hardware RIMS Tube. Great piece and I can fit a fold back heating element in there no problem. I'm a big fan of it's tri-clamp design that allows me to clean every part of the RIMS tube. Since every fitting is tri-clamp, it's very versatile. I'm throwing around the idea of adding a tri-clamp tee on the exit side of the RIMS tube to add a sampling port.

Looking at it as objectively as I can, setting up the Brewer's Hardware 1.5" TC RIMS will run you $207 if you include the mounting clamps, element enclosure, and the I/O hose connections. Our 18" unit with camlock I/O already comes with a mounting solution, enclosure, and thermo probe end cap as standard. To make it fair, I'll also add in the two Big C camlocks you'd put on the hoses since I included TC hose barbs in the $207 price. Ours would be $173.

I don't think TC I/O makes a whole lot of sense but then I'm not a fan of using TC for hose disconnects in any case. We do have limited units with TC I/O as well for those who demand it.

Our NPT and Cam I/O rims units only use two TC clamps rather than five. It's easier to clean and more streamlined.

If I'm missing something let me know.

rimsbody.jpg

rimsmount.jpg

Looking at it as objectively as I can, setting up the Brewer's Hardware 1.5" TC RIMS will run you $207 if you include the mounting clamps, element enclosure, and the I/O hose connections. Our 18" unit with camlock I/O already comes with a mounting solution, enclosure, and thermo probe end cap as standard. To make it fair, I'll also add in the two Big C camlocks you'd put on the hoses since I included TC hose barbs in the $207 price. Ours would be $173.

I don't think TC I/O makes a whole lot of sense but then I'm not a fan of using TC for hose disconnects in any case. We do have limited units with TC I/O as well for those who demand it.

Our NPT and Cam I/O rims units only use two TC clamps rather than five. It's easier to clean and more streamlined.

If I'm missing something let me know.
Is that TC shown in the lower picture available on your website? I don't see it in the section for triclamps. Is it a regular triclamp that has been modified to attach to that mounting bolt?

Does the element from Brewers hardware come wired up?

The rims rocket is complete in that sense.

I am in the same situation as the OP and after seeing the brewhardware tube I was starting to lean that way until I see that they are out of stock :-(

Does the element from Brewers hardware come wired up?

The rims rocket is complete in that sense.

The kit from Brewhardware doesnt come wired up, but it does have a great element enclosure. Hooking up the element is simple, just three wires, and the only one that matters is putting the ground in the ground spot, the other two are interchangeable.

Hoppyheadfred, I'm curious to get your opinion on your decision since your original post. I'm faced with the same decision- off the shelf ready to go rims rocket or very close to ready to go brew hardware tube. I currently have w homemade SS rims tube based on the RIMS for dummies thread that is functional but a PITA to clean. My current panel can control either with minimal mods. How do you feel after having it for a while now?

Hoppyheadfred, I'm curious to get your opinion on your decision since your original post. I'm faced with the same decision- off the shelf ready to go rims rocket or very close to ready to go brew hardware tube. I currently have w homemade SS rims tube based on the RIMS for dummies thread that is functional but a PITA to clean. My current panel can control either with minimal mods. How do you feel after having it for a while now?

Have you considered adding a stainless camlock fitting to the end of the main tube where your element is mounted for easier removal and cleanup?

I'm deciding between the two as well, already have a hop rocket though so I was leaning that direction. I was looking at the temp sensor fitting and probe to go with it, http://www.homebrewing.org/Temp-Sensor-Fitting-RIMS-Rocket_p_5210.html total for the three being around $250 seems fair but blichmanns temperature controller is insanely expensive. Does any know of a much cheaper option controller?

Augiedoggy, do you mean at the t fitting? That would be a ton cheaper and solve 90% of the issue. Do you have a source for part?

Or now I'm thinking a 1.5 male npt to 1.5 triclamp at the end of the T, then adding the brew hardware 1.5 triclamp to element fitting. The element could easily be removed for drying and cleaning.

I'm deciding between the two as well, already have a hop rocket though so I was leaning that direction. I was looking at the temp sensor fitting and probe to go with it, http://www.homebrewing.org/Temp-Sensor-Fitting-RIMS-Rocket_p_5210.html total for the three being around $250 seems fair but blichmanns temperature controller is insanely expensive. Does any know of a much cheaper option controller?

I built my own and it really wasn't that difficult, and I've got zero electronics experience. There are some great tutorials from PJ. I had planned on using that one had I gone the rims rocket route.

Augiedoggy, do you mean at the t fitting? That would be a ton cheaper and solve 90% of the issue. Do you have a source for part?

yes hopefully you can see this pic from my build thread below...
IThe first pic was of my shorter 1000w element the longer rims is my 1800w 36" element version which works awesome and heats so gently there is ZERO buildup to clean in the rims and on the elemnt after brewing. I do run pbw through it every now and again but everytime I pulled the element it was totally clean.
I use cartridge heaters btw I thing they just make more sense here but thats just me.

you want a 1" (or 1.25" if thats your pipe size) stainless camlock fitting. they are fairly cheap and easy to find on ebay or amazon. btw my rims cost about $125-150 with all the fittings and such. I got fancy and wired in a flowswitch to kill my rims heater if the flow ever stops through it. It has saved me a couple times already.

Rims version 4.jpg

rims version 5.jpg

rims.jpg

old rims element.jpg

Back