"Rims" system controlled by arduino

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamilyTradition

Reaction score
First post here thought I would display my set up. Using a camco 5500w heating element in my brew kettle controlled by an Arduino. Have a pump recirculating wort from my kettle through my mash tun. So it's kind of a rims system just using my kettle as "the heating tube". Mash tun is a Coleman extreme 15 gallon, home made manifold system. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407627788.552450.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407627850.425763.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407627888.589682.jpgAny ? Or comments feel free to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is a pic of the manifold system the long tube have cuts on the bottom side then everything is pulled from the middle for even flow an identical manifold is on top also
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407628460.716199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi, I'm trying to desing an Arduino controlled rims system, can you explain a bit of what you realized?

Well I realized it was fun and a great learning experience you can get cheap reliable temp sensors for it, the digital outputs on the arduino are strong enough to connect right to a solid state relay. I do recommend getting an ssvr to control the intensity of the boil. I find electric brewing is so easy and a lot more fun.

You can definitely make a controller a lot easier with an off the shelf PID controller but I found the arduino controller more fun to build felt like I had better control over my brewing since I learned how everything worked together

I know it's easier to use a PID controller, but I think with Arduino you have a lot more possibilities to have a lot of customized functions!! ;-)
My project is to start with a RIMS controller exploiting PID libraries, a simple menu and the possibility to store recipes, incluiding ramps and soak of temperature. The problem is that I'm a beginner of programming... Can you post your code and a bigger photo of the electric setup please?

Well great! I'm not the best at programming but I can give you some tips . First go through the normal hello world LCD tutorial to get your LCD hooked up to your arduino.
Second add your temp sensor and have it read to your LCD screen. Then add a key pad or buttons as in puts. One thing I learned is that I needed a debouncing code for button presses . When you press a button and release it, the contacts will bounce and give you false readings. On my program I just have a set temp then press 1 to add 1 degree and press 2 to subtract a degree from my set temp. You could use a PID program but I just have a simple program to turn on a pin on the digital output when the sensor temp Falls bellow the set temp. The digital output switches the ssr on turning on the heating element . It turns on for a few seconds waits a little then takes a few more temp readings and goes from there . I did it this way to prevent it from over shooting, it usually stays within 2 degrees for me.

I'd say just start small and build up adding one thing at a time. Eliminate to many variables so debugging is easier. That's about what I know, I haven't ventured into anything more than what I stated above

I'm sorry I know it's a little crude but it works for me. I hope this helps a little.

I added a few other things like a switch relay override for boiling. A led in series with my relay supply dc voltage so I know when it's on. I also added the ssvr

Steve Matheson created the Brauduino which is basically a Braumeister clone using an arduino. I copied and modified the code for my system which is a two vessel system very similar to what is here.
The code is posted on github: https://github.com/mdwilson/braumiser-controller/tree/master

It uses an arduino, a 16 character 2 line LCD display, 4 push buttons, a Dallas one-wire temp sensor, a SSR driven directly from the arduino, a logic FET to drive a 12v pump and a transistor to drive a buzzer.

The system does step mashes, PID temp control, PWM boil control, timers, and a delayed start timer so that I can set things up at night and wake up mashed-out and ready to boil in the morning.

Cool looking set up. One question on the RIMS: how do you control the flow to keep the pump from pumping all of the water out of the kettle and exposing the element?

Cool looking set up. One question on the RIMS: how do you control the flow to keep the pump from pumping all of the water out of the kettle and exposing the element?

Thanks for that braudino link, really cool stuff. I what to advance my code a little bit.

Haven't brewed since November 2nd. It's killing me but trying to finish my basement so I can brew down there. Trying to finish it before my 2nd child comes in 4 weeks. Once that's done I'll dive into coding more.

I have a few ball valves to control flow into the pot and on the outlet of the pump. I adjust those and use a lot of rice hauls they are cheap and everything flows really well, I have never had a problem. I might add a float valve and put it in series with the ssr signal line.

I also want to build a little contraption for hop additions using an arduino.

Well time to mud dry wall.

Happy brewing

Attached a pic of the brew area in the basement it's an older pic
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423315679.918278.jpg

The Blichmann auto sparge looks like it might work well in you mash tun to control the level. Good luck on the basement and congrats on the new addition to the family.

The Blichmann auto sparge looks like it might work well in you mash tun to control the level. Good luck on the basement and congrats on the new addition to the family.

That auto sparge is pretty cool always impressed with blichmanns products but not their prices

Back