RIM and/or HERMS with Cooler as MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danapsimer

Reaction score
So I have an 10 gallon igloo cooler for my MLT using a domed FB. I want to add either a RIM tube or HERMs to control temps and recirculate. Should I also upgrade the MLT to a SS kettle or Keggle? I don't see many people using cooler MLTs in their HERMs or RIMs builds. Is there a compelling reason to go to a SS vessel? Seems to me that the insulation of the cooler would help to keep grain at the proper temperature and therefore require less heating.

I have been using a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cylindrical cooler for a MLT with my RIMS for about 5-6 years now.

It works great and have no desire to change to anything else.

If you ever thought of doing something larger than 10 gallon batches, then maybe look at something else.

I used a cooler for my MLT in my HERMS for a long time. I still use it occasionally, but when I went to bigger batches I needed a bigger MLT and that's the only reason I went with a stainless keg instead of my Igloo cooler.

Back