Right the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybrew226

Reaction score
I'm building my first keezer and I'm trying to wrap my mind around the tap pressure balancing act? It appears all beers have a different vol of CO2 that the style is carbed at? Could I skip the primary regulator and mount a 3-body secondary regulator inside the keezer. This way I could carb each corney with the right Volume of CO2. Any thoughts. I don't see a need in buying a primary.

Thanks

I serve almost all of my beers at the same pressure, so I only need one regulator but I have a distributor that serves all 5 kegs. I had a set up with two primary regulators, but I rarely used the second regulator once my kids left home as it was mostly for soda (which is at a very high psi, as compared to beer).

If you feel that you need three different pressures at all times, then three regulators would be the way to go.

Do not connect a secondary regulator directly to your CO2 tank! Secondary regulators aren't able to handle tank pressure (~1000 psi), so you need the first one in line to be a primary regulator to step the pressure down to something they can handle (they're called SECONDARY regulators for a reason). Some sets of regulator bodies sold as "secondaries" are actually just primary regulators daisy chained together, and actually can handle tank pressure, but that's a dangerous assumption to make. If you only want 3 pressures, you only need three regulators including the primary. A primary and a 3 body secondary set will get you four pressures.

The only "right" volume of carbonation for a particular beer is the one you like it at. The suggested carb levels in the style guidelines are just that, a suggestion. If you notice, most style guidelines give a fairly wide range of carb levels for each style, and most of them overlap somewhere in the middle. You'll also get significantly different carb level suggestions for the same style depending on which set of style guidelines you look at.

I'm happy keeping the vast majority of my beers at the same moderate carbonation level (~2.3 vol for me), so I only use one regulator and keep all 4 of my kegs at the same pressure.

If you really want to fine tune the carb level for each beer, then multiple regulators are the way to go. Just make sure you cut all of your beer lines long enough to balance the highest carb level you foresee yourself using (or even longer IMO). If you balance one of the lines for a mild at 2.0 vol but then try to serve a hefe through it that's carbed to 4.0 vol, you'll pour nothing but foam. If all of the lines are on the long side, you'll be able to get a good pour with any beer, it will just be a little slower for the less carbed ones.

JuanMoore, Thank you for that detailed response as it answer my question completely. I think I'll do the one primary regulator and then add a gas distributor for the other kegs later.

One other question I have. I've found multiple answers for the amount of line resistance in 3/16in tubing. Anywhere from 3PSI/ft to 1.8PSI/ft. And one site stated the line resistance was a function of regulator pressure. Any thoughts? This will change the length of your serving line by a lot.

Part the issue is that line resistance varies between brands, manufacturers and even between different runs on the same machine, so using a balancing calculators is really only good for getting a very rough estimate. My experience has been that the actual resistance of every line I've tried is less than even the lowest published figures, with most 3/16" being closer to 1 psi/ft. I'd make the lines longer than you think they'll need to be, since it's easy to cut them shorter, but not so easy to grow them longer. For fairly standard carb levels and temps (~2-3 vol, 34-44F) 10-12' of 3/16" ID line is probably a good starting point. I use barrier line in my system, which has significantly lower resistance than standard vinyl beer line, so I actually use 18' lines.

Back