• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Right simple one here... weissbier yeast 3068?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bayern1987

Reaction score
Alright fellow brew heads...quick question here...

I pitched just a smack pack of 3068 and got a nice weissbier not much banana...

Next I seriously underpitched... too much banana... nearly a wasted batch and hardly any head....

I then started making starters from bottom harvested yeast which turned out not bad... a decent beer...

However I have now top cropped about half a mason jar of krausen and it looks a good amount of yeast that have settled... my question is thus:

Look at the photo 🧐 should I make a starter or just throw in this little gang of yeasties to create the perfect hefeweizen?

Danke schon 🤩 X

Attachments

MikeCo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How old will the yeast be when you use it? It's difficult to know how many viable cells are in the jar from harvesting. I would be inclined to make a starter to assure a high enough pitch rate, especially if the jar is a few weeks or months old.

OP
B

Bayern1987

Reaction score
How old will the yeast be when you use it? It's difficult to know how many viable cells are in the jar from harvesting. I would be inclined to make a starter to assure a high enough pitch rate, especially if the jar is a few weeks or months old.
It is only a few days old... you reckon I will be okay to go and pitch it? 😁

Nate R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright fellow brew heads...quick question here...

I pitched just a smack pack of 3068 and got a nice weissbier not much banana...

Next I seriously underpitched... too much banana... nearly a wasted batch and hardly any head....

I then started making starters from bottom harvested yeast which turned out not bad... a decent beer...

However I have now top cropped about half a mason jar of krausen and it looks a good amount of yeast that have settled... my question is thus:

Look at the photo 🧐 should I make a starter or just throw in this little gang of yeasties to create the perfect hefeweizen?

Danke schon 🤩 X
Make a starter! Keep half, pitch half. If you love it, then you have a strain to keep!