Right Method for Partial Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
Im just wondering if this process would work for partial mashing. For a 5 gallon recipe, fill a pot with 1.5 gallons of water, heat water, and mash for 90 min. In a second pot fill with 1.5 gallons of water, heat, and sparge for 30 min. Does that sound good or do i need to have an accurate amount of water in each.

That depends entirely on how much grain you want to use and what process. Are we talking BIAB or something else?

You mash with 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of crushed grains. 1 hour @ 150-156F usually. The higher the temp,the less fermentables are extracted. Not by much though. lager or pilsner would be a temp of 147-152 for me. Darker beers at 155-156 or so. I mash 5-6 pounds of grain in 2 gallons of local spring water @ 152-156F,depending on the style for one hour. Then sparge with 1.5 gallons of 170F spring water for 3.5 gallons boil volume in my 5 gallon SS BK/MT biab style.

You mash with 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of crushed grains. 1 hour @ 150-156F usually. The higher the temp,the less fermentables are extracted. Not by much though. lager or pilsner would be a temp of 147-152 for me. Darker beers at 155-156 or so. I mash 5-6 pounds of grain in 2 gallons of local spring water @ 152-156F,depending on the style for one hour. Then sparge with 1.5 gallons of 170F spring water for 3.5 gallons boil volume in my 5 gallon SS BK/MT biab style.

Ok cool its still like the all grain the water per pound per grain type of thing. But thank you for the info. and to the other guy yea im thinking of doin BIAB.

Yeah,the water to grain ratios are the same. You're just using less water & grain,adding extract to get up to recipe OG. I add all the extract at flame out myself. The wort is still boiling hot at that point. And since pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F,just stirring the extract in well & covering with the lid for the few minutes it takes to get an ice bath,or wort chiller going is enough.

Back