Rig Build - Day1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
Here is the end result of my first day....

IMG_0110.JPG

I need to figure out the plumping; there is a brace you can't see to help support the burners but I on the fence with the burners to purchase and if I am going to use flex hose or pipe...

That big yellow tank in the background - thats my new Propane tank :)

I am also thinking a hinged panel to "cover" the center space that will have my CFC and March Pump mounted onto it, so when not in use it flips up flush with the rig and when using it..... it drops down in front of the rig.

I am hoping to put a 100-200lb tank under my deck so I can avoid the $20 tank swaps. I could then feed my brew stand, gas grill, wok and fireplace.

I am hoping to put a 100-200lb tank under my deck so I can avoid the $20 tank swaps. I could then feed my brew stand, gas grill, wok and fireplace.

I run my wok on my bayou classic.... friggin awesome.

Burners came in today - they are 165,000 BTU 27-jet burners in a 9" diameter cast-iron mold...

IMG_0114.JPG

I was a little frustrated today, 1 of the burners had poor threads and ended up leaking and after trying 3 times to get it right they were damaged more than was going to be acceptable for a tight seal so I opted to use some JBWeld on that unit for now. I will either replace it or if the JB holds then it holds... it has a rating of 500F and I don't really think the 1/2" pipe feeding the gas will get that hot but we shall see... the other 2 worked great with only 1 jet leaking on the middle burner (see the yellow?) so I will address that tomorrow with some high-temp locktite or something.

Overall I am happy. I need to add LP regulators in front of the ball valves to give greater flame control on individual burner basis; right now I have a 0-30 on the tank but the ball valves at the burners don't allow for enough fine adjustment.

Overall day-2 was a success

What are some of you using to seal the jet's that leak? Much like the 1/2" nipple I don't expect the area of the jet where the air intake holes are to get much hotter than 500F - and probably not even that hot. Red Loctite the sealant of choice for the jets or are you guys using something different?

Looking to get something like this going as well... any approximate costs so far regarding materials and labor? From the looks of it, the labor may be included on your end, but prices for materials?

All the Steel, cut to length was $150
Burners, $145 shipped
Gas plumbing, $65
Casters, $36

Total ~$400

Misc (Argon, Wire, new Pipe Wrench, etc.....) ~$75

... Into it for less than $500 so far.

Plans - Diamond Plate (maybe)
Hinged Panels
March Pump Mounts, CFC Mount, etc... I am thinking a fold-down shelf off one of the ends also.

Right on man... Best of luck to you! It looks great so far. Make sure to post more pics as more work gets done. Also, any plans for Love temp controllers and pneumatic valves to control gas outflow?

Right on man... Best of luck to you! It looks great so far. Make sure to post more pics as more work gets done. Also, any plans for Love temp controllers and pneumatic valves to control gas outflow?

Probably not - I plan on batch sparging for now; I initially thought about a electric HLT and doing a HERMS setup but honestly batch works for me and the beers I make are pretty good so the incremental cost for controllers, valves, etc. isn't worth it to me.... of course I say that as I sit here now so you never know. I hope to brew on it this weekend becuase I am impatient. I will continue to modify it for sure... my next functional goal is testing the new pump. I may test-boil some water tongiht to see how fast it goes.

Leads me to a question...

There is much debate on how fast or slow to drain the mash tun; if I am using a pump and assuming the mash doesnt get stuck can I just let-er-rip? New to the March Pump world.

Hayabusa
I just realized we have a friend in common, James, who you sold the conical to. He just sent me a pic of your brew rig, and then I saw it here. Nice rig, man.
And nice conical. James is trying to make me jealous. It worked. Hope to meet you someday, and talk/brew/drink beers.
cheers
-Ben
If you come across any good propane tank deals out there lemme know.

Looking really good so far. I wish I had the skill or equipment to do something like this. Someday maybe...

You'd be amazed how fast you can learn how to weld when you are inspired.

...beer inspires me....

Hayabusa
I just realized we have a friend in common, James, who you sold the conical to. He just sent me a pic of your brew rig, and then I saw it here. Nice rig, man.
And nice conical. James is trying to make me jealous. It worked. Hope to meet you someday, and talk/brew/drink beers.
cheers
-Ben
If you come across any good propane tank deals out there lemme know.

The 20-gallon tank was a great deal, if I can get another one I will let you know for sure.

The conical was a great tool but the area that I ferment in didn't accomodate the space that the conical needed... I use a 15 cubic foot "Dead" freezer to ferment in and it just didn't fit. In texas its hard to keep the conical in a place that stays around 65F without cooling an entire bathroom and building a chamber for it alone didn't make sense. His displacement due to dry hopping was big and this should make his life easier. I loved it in the winter when I could keep a room at 65 without issue but it's March and as you know, we are F'd soon :)

we need to plan a weekend brew/grill day! My plan when the rig is complete is to make 2 10-gal batches one day.... a nice stout and a ale.... black-n-tan's called "rig-busters" :rockin:

Sounds good to me. I hear you on the temperature thing. I have a small spare bathroom who's tub becomes a nice water bath for winter time brewing, but the fridge I have for warmer months fermenting is also a spare single 1/2 barrel sized kegerator. That's why I stick to my glass carboys, I can fit 3 of them (5g) in there. I've put about 5 five gallon batches through my new brew tree (before I was doing extract and mini mash for about 15 years, this site has inspired me to get seroius), I'd like to try a 10g batch with it soon. I have a 10g corny, and a possible event in which to brew for.

Sounds good to me. I hear you on the temperature thing. I have a small spare bathroom who's tub becomes a nice water bath for winter time brewing, but the fridge I have for warmer months fermenting is also a spare single 1/2 barrel sized kegerator. That's why I stick to my glass carboys, I can fit 3 of them (5g) in there. I've put about 5 five gallon batches through my new brew tree (before I was doing extract and mini mash for about 15 years, this site has inspired me to get seroius), I'd like to try a 10g batch with it soon. I have a 10g corny, and a possible event in which to brew for.

the mysterious 10gal cornie - i want one so bad. I ferment in Sanke's and cornies (5) but I want some 10's to serve from - they are hard to find!

haya,
You say you're looking for 10gal. corny's? I have a few.Maybe interested in parting with some.

I got lucky, found mine at the metal recycle yard, probably gave $15-20 for it. I see HIGH prices on ebay when they come up for sale, and the same for the 3 gallon ones.
I got a ranco unit for my other kegerator, so now I have a fermentation fridge, but it's been colder than I would like at night lately, and that fridge is in an unheated space.
-Ben

Back