Ridiculous attenuation w/ Wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phecke

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody else has had an attenuation of 79% with Wyeast 1968 London ESB? Wyeast states a value of 67%-71% and is notorious for being a low attenuator. I mashed at 154˚F and it fell to 153˚ over the course of the 50 minute mash, so I suppose that could be a contributing factor. So what say you HBT? Anybody else have an experience getting an attenuation this high? If yes (or no for that matter) what were your mash temps?

What was your OG and FG? I just used 1968 in my last brew but havent checked my FG yet.

My OG was 1.060 and my FG was 1.013. Within the range of the BJCP guidelines, but I was expecting an FG of 1.016 or so.

I almost always get around 75% or more AA from 1968. Granted, I've only used it 3 or 4 times, but it never attenuates super low for me. Then again, I plan my recipes properly for each yeast strain, and usually get just about the AA I want.

I take that back. I brewed a brown ale last spring and got 70% AA. I even mashed at 152, I think, and didn't use too much in the way of specialty grains. It might have been the mild ale base, which is the only time I have used it. It's supposed to be less fermentable than your average base grain. Maybe that was the difference.

Lat time I used WLP002 (supposedly the same stuff) I got about 80% attenuation on a brown ale. I mashed at 151 because I was expecting low attenuation!

This makes me feel better. I just got 80 with this strain as well and thought - **** - now I have my first infected batch on its way. No off-tastes or looks - just really good attenuation.

Gonna revive this old thread because I have consistently seen 78% - 84% attenuation with Wyeast 1968. I have used it with Special Bitter, IPA and Brown Ale recipes. The outcome has been excellent every time but contradicts all conventional wisdom on this strain. So right, but feels so wrong.

Fine print: oxygenate for 60 seconds, never pitch less than .66M cells per mL, mash at 151, ferment at 68

Latest posts

Back