Rice & rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunxter

Reaction score
Cleaning up grain bin and i got 1 lb of both i wanna use up. Also have corn but would rather use that on something else. Anyone have any suggestions for these? Prefer an ale but could lager if i had to. Have a dew different base malt i could use as well, maybe include this 5 lb victory as well? Just looking for recipe ideas, anyone have any suggestions?

Mostly pale ales, lagers occasionally. I have pale malt, pilsen, victory , 1 lb maris otter, 3 or 4 lb munich. Rice and rye are flaked. Also 1 1/2 flaked corn. Plenty of hops to chose from. C10 l c60 l , honey malt. I dont really care for brown ales, at least none tbat i tried. Im open to try new things, just that ive had this stuff for about a year or so just wanna use it up. And some wheat malt.

I like the idea of a Kentucky Common, but you'll want a little black malt as well for that. Might brew one myself now since @bfish brings it up.

You could easily do a pale ale with mostly base malt, plus 5-10% each Munich, Victory and Rye. If you want some crystal malt character, include 4-6% of that as well.

If you want to use the rice, then cream ale with rye.

Ok sounds lime i may do cream ale with rye but what is a ky common?
Nvm i just looked it up. Im going to do something pretty similar based on what i got. Seems the style was based on using ehat they had available, mine will just be loosely based on that minus the darker malt. Thx to all who replied.

Thx for the link bfish. I did read the thread. First ever i heard the term. Not the first time i heard of kissing yer cousin though but im not the type to kiss and tell[emoji23]

Back