Rice! Rice! Rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brmdavis

Reaction score
I just received a bunch, a whole bunch, of plain ol' white long grain rice. It's enriched...for whatever that's worth. The question is how do I use this in a brew? Not specifically a recipe, but the actual usage of the grains. I've used flaked rice before but never regular rice. Just toss it in with the rest and hope for the best or does it need to be prepped in any way?

Sorry if this is covered in a sticky but i searched and couldnt find anything...

I made 2 gallons of a Japanese style dry ale that came out very good. My favorite sushi chief in town supplied the sushi and we drank the whole 12 pack I made that night. But I am at work and do not have the specs on how much rice I used. But I do remember the process.

As usual I researched a lot and just found some middle path to take amongst all the different paths there are for cereal mashes. First thing I did was run my rice through my mill to try and get better surface area on the mash. I then put my rice into a pot and brought that up to a boil for about 10 minutes, strained it and added it to a waiting mash at 122 and held for 30 minutes. Then I decocted a little more than 1/3 of the mash and boiled it adding it back in to get my desired rest of 148 degrees, which is where it sat for an hour. Came out awesome!

What recipe where you thinking of doing? You can do a blonde maybe? Something like this;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Actually the link you posted is the one i printed as the best option to use up some of this stuff. Great minds right? So you just roughly milled it, rinsed it and boiled it (not messing around with adding barley for the whole starch/enzyme thing or holding for a bit at specific temps) then tossed it in with the mash? Sounds simple enough. I still wish it was minute rice.

I am no expert but I remember when I did it, I read not to rinse the rice.

My beer was not all rice (if that’s what your asking?), the majority was pilsen malt. But if you’re just mentioning the actual boiling of the rice then your right I did not put any malt in there.

I actually did that exact recipe about a year ago and it came out very good! So you will be fine.

never mashed rice but I can assure you that rinsing the rice will remove a bunch of starch that you are trying to convert I am considering trying rice in a beer since I think the rice is what makes Bud taste so bad.. If I make a good beer with some rice in it then I'll know not to keep blaming the rice.

never mashed rice but I can assure you that rinsing the rice will remove a bunch of starch that you are trying to convert I am considering trying rice in a beer since I think the rice is what makes Bud taste so bad.. If I make a good beer with some rice in it then I'll know not to keep blaming the rice.

Personally I think it is the rice....I like corn adjuncted lagers, such as Labatt's and other macro's that use corn. As well as cream ales that use corn. But can't stand rice adjuncted ones.

I've never bothered trying to make a ricey beer. Maybe I should try too. But I bet if you were making a fuller bodied beer like a stout or something and mashed in rice, it may be a nicer beer that a lighter american lager.

As long as you're not over 20% adjuncts in your recipe and you use a well modified base malt you don't need to do a cereal mash.

You do need to boil the rice to gelatinize the starches. Once the starches are gelatinized, there's more than enough diastatic power in 2-row to convert the rice. Just toss it into the mash.

If you use 6-row (which has more diastatic power) you may be able to get away with +20% adjuncts but I've never tried it.

Cheers

I made a cream ale with only barley and rice (no corn). I think it came out nice. It has a bit of that saki flavor. Smooth, not much grain flavor, but there was flavor :D

I realize the OP has unconverted rice, but it should be mentioned that minute rice does not require a cereal mash. I buy the generic stuff and it goes right into the mash.

Latest posts

Back