Rice hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1977

Reaction score
I'm doing my first AG...should I mix in some Rice hulls with this batch? I'm going to have 1/2 lb of Wheat Malt, and 1/2 lb of flaked wheat in this recipe....Also, this is going to sound silly but should I crush the Rice hulls? I would guess you don't, since the only value to having them in the grist is for filtration...correct?

I've used them several times. They can help stop a stuck sparge. There is no need to crush them. Just mix about .5lbs or so with the grains before you mash in.

Can't hurt. I thow in rice hulls any time I'm using flaky adjuncts or Maris Otter, so I'd definitely do it with your recipe. It won't matter if you crush the hulls. I never do, but it wont hurt. They serve the same function as barley hulls and we crush them too.

The reason I don't crush them is I just eyeball a measurement into the MLT while I'm preheating it. I don't measure it out at the LHBS. Cheers!

They aren't going to hurt anything, but with 1 lb total of wheat I don't think you really need them.

.5 pound of rice hulls is a LOT! I mean, a LOT of rice hulls! You'll be safe with a scientific measurement such as "two handfuls".

I pound two pounds of rice hulls in 2010. I brew often, and have plenty left! You don't need that much, and you only need it when you use sticky adjuncts.

Thanks Gents!!! sounds good!!!! I'll make sure to use the "exact measurement" of two handfuls on brew day...

Cheers,
Ryan

wow.. so the 5 lbs of rice hulls I just ordered is a bit overkill. I'm doing my Wit in a 10G batch with a new manifold and have a big level of paranoia. Guess I'll just use a lb in this batch and save the rest for other batches. :)

Ready to do a weizen, using 5 lbs of 2 row and 4.5 pounds of wheat. Guess I should use some rice hulls myself.

Back