Quantcast

Rice Hull Noob

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Read a dozen or more "rice hull" posts and googled, but would still like some reassurance. I just got a bag of rice hulls from Midwest along with grains. I requested that the grains be crushed. I’m pretty sure that they would not have crushed the rice hulls, but since I’ve never seen them before, I don’t know. They kind of look like the crushed grains. Will someone direct me to a picture of what they should look like or give a good description? Thanks.

Edit: add picture
Here's what mine look like . . . .

rice hulls.jpg

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
Yep, those are regular everyday rice hulls. They don't get crushed, they're already just the hulls.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Yup, that looks like a pile of rice hulls. :D

What exactly is your question about rice hulls? How/why to use them?

I use them to help filter a mash if I have a lot of flakes or oats. I don't use either very often, but I always keep a pound or so of rice hulls vacuum packed in case I need them.

OP
AnOldUR

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What exactly is your question about rice hulls? How/why to use them?
Searching HBT gave me enough so that I’m confident using them. Just wanted to make sure I had the right thing. I’ll be doing a witbier with flaked wheat and oats this weekend. Trying to avoid a stuck mash.

I always keep a pound or so of rice hulls vacuum packed in case I need them.
I bought a 5 pound bag thinking it would be a good thing to have around. Your “vacuum packed “ comment got me thinking. Are there any special storage considerations? I usually store my extra grains in a freezer bag in the freezer. Same thing with rice hulls?

Evets

Reaction score
If you are sure you can keep them dry, like in a zip lock bag, you probably don't need to freeze them. There's no starch to keep fresh so I'd say dry is more important than frozen.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
As far as I can see, the only reason to vacuum pack them is that they're so bulky. A pound of rice hulls takes up as much space as quite a few pounds of grain... Since they're just hulls I would not really worry about them going bad.

OP
AnOldUR

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One last rice hull question. When computing the water to use in the mash (1.25 qts/lb) do you add water for the rice hulls also?

Beerrific

Reaction score
anoldur said:
One last rice hull question. When computing the water to use in the mash (1.25 qts/lb) do you add water for the rice hulls also?
I wouldn't because mash thickness can change the effectiveness of the enzymes (since they do not contribute enzymes nor sugar). What I would do, however, is rinse them a couple times with tap water. You will see that they are not very clean and once saturated they should not absorb any water in the mash.