Rice (Flaked)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a partial mash recipe that's calling for Rice (Flaked) to be mashed along with other grains. My LHBS doesn't have any on hand and I was wondering if this could be replaced by regular instant rice ?

If so, does it have to be cooked and do I use exactly the same amount asked by the recipe for Flaked Rice ?

Thanks !

Without cooking it ?

Correct.

I used Minute Rice in a cream ale recipe this weekend. I put it through my mill with the other grain but it wasn't needed. Add it as you would add any flaked adjunct.

If you want to use regular white rice you need to boil it for around 30 minutes before adding it.

Correct.

I used Minute Rice in a cream ale recipe this weekend. I put it through my mill with the other grain but it wasn't needed. Add it as you would add any flaked adjunct.

If you want to use regular white rice you need to boil it for around 30 minutes before adding it.

That's awesome. Thanks for the quick response !

I have another question about this one. Usually when doing Minute Rice, you add the same amount of water than the amount of rice. At the end, all the water has been absorbed by the rice.

Does it mean I have to add a lot more water to my mash than the usual 1.33qt/lbs ratio ?

Correct.

Whadaya know? I did the same thing this weekend. Cream Ale, Minute Rice, and precooked polenta. Should be interesting to see how it turns out fermented with Pacman.

I don't bother milling minute rice, and I use whatever's the cheapest minute rice at the grocery store. With only a pound in the mash, I had no draining issues.

Back