Rhodomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 54565

Reaction score
So I was sitting here, thinking "how I am going to get this rose syrup out of my fridge?" So, logically, I go to a mead. This rose syrup is literally 90% sugar (54 grams of sugar per 60 gram serving) - so it is just enough water to dissolve the sugar in to. It has no preservatives in it, so that isn't a concern, either.

All of the recipe's I've found for a rhodomel are actually just involving rose water - not a rose syrup like I have. Rather difficult to make a valid comparison, honestly.

Does anybody have any experience with this, or something similar? Lavender, maybe? How did it turn out? I know it can start to taste ... soapy ... if it gets too strong, so therein lies the next question - how much is too much? I guess there are two ways to do it in a one gallon test batch:

1. Add it before the ferment and guess
  2. Add it after the ferment to taste/as a back-sweet agent. Wait for a month to see if ferment restarts, then bottle.
I think #2 is by far the better answer. But has anybody tried something similar? What were the results?

Well, if nothing else I have a severe lack of patience. I decided to go ahead and treat the rose syrup like maple syrup - and instead of an acerglyn, I will have a rhomodel. Hopefully a tasty rhomodel.

Chased down some of the recommendations on acerglyn around the board and made some assumptions. Primarily that the rose syrup I had is actually sweeter with more fermentables than a maple syrup. So I stuck with:

A little less than 2.5 pounds of local orange blossom honey
2 cups (16 ounces) of rose syrup
Water to 1 gallon
Will do SNA
K1-V1116 (it's what I had laying around)

The OG comes out to ~1.145, decidedly in the sweet range. By the honey calculator from the sticky, it shows that the % alcohol of this mead should go to 19% if fermented dry. The K1 (18% estimated tolerance), however, should be right in the range of *almost* dry on this one, so hopefully it won't be too cloying. I will have to play it by ear, though, and modify it a bit if it ends up overly sweet.

This is what 1 gallon experiments are all about, right?

I'm going to continue the pattern of talking to myself in this thread.

I babied this gallon test batch - degassing it 2-3 times a day the first 3-4 days, following SNA exactly, the whole shebang. I did add, as a last minute addition, a handful of raisins and some lemon/orange rind. I had them laying around, so I figured why not.

Now then, this bad boy cleared super fast. I'm amazed at how rapidly everything has dropped out. 5/6 from start to 5/18 when I wanted to rack it off the raisins to 5/23 and it is already clear, just ready to age. It ended up being a very pretty pinkish-red color. Not a deep ruby red like a prickly pear mead would end up, and also not the pepto bismol pink I saw recently in a lilac based wine thread. If I can manage to get a picture, I will try to do so. OG shows as dry, as well. I am going to let it age, and see if the rose flavor comes through strong enough, or if I need to add some of the rose syrup back in for back sweetening. For now, though, I think this is done.

Hey man, interested to see how this turns out!! I wish I had some reference, advice, or even a " this one time" story to share. I have yet to venture into the mead!

Good luck man, looking forward to any pictures you post.

Thanks, MeThirsty. I'm not really upset about talking to myself - this is a rather strange brew.

I racked it off the lees and was surprised not only at how fast it cleared, but also at how good it tastes. It has a noticeable floral flavor to it, bordering on knock you over the head floral, but not medicinal. It is a bit hot, and the honey is not present, but some good aging will bring the honey notes to the fore front. I think, honestly, that this is a phenomenal brew - and likely to be one that I will repeat on a 5 gallon batch level. It could, very possibly be, one of the best meads I've made. I think this beats out my prickly pear mead by a fair stretch.

The only difference is that I might cut it back to 1.5 cups per gallon of rose syrup, and maybe (just maybe) up the honey a bit more. Maybe another test batch is in order ... :cross:

I will post about this again in a few months when this bad boy ages out.

Seeing as how you are local, it will make more sense when I say: Lee Lee. Lee Lee's is a local Asian megamart, which has aisles dedicated to different countries. It's a culture shock for me, and it's been 2 years since I got it, so I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know which section I got it from. It may have been the "Indian" section, but the company is actually Lebanese. It is al wadi (al akhdar) brand. Google brings up a few places to buy it online, too.

If you want to add more rose without more sugar, get rose water. It is probably in the Indian section of Lee Lee's or in any Indian grocery.

Yeah, it was more to clear the rose syrup out of my fridge than anything else.

I'll check it out, thanks. My girlfriend and I picked about a pound ow wild rose hips last fall up in Flagstaff. I combined them with Colorado Alpine honey and citrus honey from Phoenix to make a batch. It's still aging out currently. I'm hoping it tastes something like it smelled during primary.

GTG

This sounds very promising! Don't know how I missed this thread till now. I have a gallon of rose petal wine going at the present. Not very fancy, just a take on a Jack Keller recipe. My wife was doing some things with rose petals and suggested I try a wine. Basically I steeped the petals in boiling water, then added sugar and some chopped raisins per the recipe, pitched the yeast, Montrachet I think, and topped up to a gallon. It's been fermenting quite nicely and is a very lovely pale pink as well. Good luck with the mead and can't wait to see how they both turn out!

Latest posts

Back