Rhizomes planted!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jas0420

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I got side tracked, so my rhizomes had to spend a week in the fridge, but I finally got out and started working on 'em this past weekend. I was originally thinking that I'd plant them along the fence and try training them horizontally, but when I got back there with the shovel I decided that it just wasn't going to work that well in the places I was planning.

Soooo... I dug out a new planter along the south side of the house (only other option I had left). I'll be able to get about 12 feet vertical this way by going to the roof. Haven't decided yet if I want to mess with going horizontal at that point. Not exactly a convenient height to be training them.

I've only gotten it far enough to get them into the ground. I got the grass out, dug a hole where each will be, and back filled it pretty generously with 50/50 compost and topsoil. Once they're through that, good luck with the @#%#! clay here little plants!

Anyway, it looks like crap at the moment, but I'll extend the chopped-block border around it this weekend and fill it all in with some more compost. Made the area big enough to carve out some space for the wife to have for herbs, so I've managed to keep her happy through yet another crazy idea....... :D

Pictures Here

Danek

Reaction score
Nice work - they're looking good.

Beware though - they grow at a frightening speed. I put mine down a couple of weeks back and they're already up and away.

OP
jas0420

jas0420

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that's no lie.... Two of my five are above ground now, and they've only been planted for 5 days.... This is my Cascade. It's already almost two inches tall! Crazy.....

talleymonster

Reaction score
jas0420 said:
Wow, that's no lie.... Two of my five are above ground now, and they've only been planted for 5 days.... This is my Cascade. It's already almost two inches tall! Crazy.....

WoW! That is crazy! I can't even see them!

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
jas0420 said:

same boat, see my thread "sprouting." glad we can share the excitement.

OP
jas0420

jas0420

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully the excitement will continue for both of us when these things get introduced to the Texas summer and they realize that they're not in the Pacific Northwest any more. :D EdWort had good luck there in your part of woods last year, so fingers are crossed.