Rhizomes arrived, questions to follow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I've grown hops before. I really enjoy the aspect of growing what you use. I think it's very cool.

I just got 4 rhizomes from Willamette Valley Hops, 2 Centennials and 2 Golding. They came in an envelope, and then inside of a sealed plastic bag.

How long is it safe to keep them in the plastic bag before I should worry about degradation? I didn't anticipate that they would make it to the house so quickly...I live in NJ and the ground is not quite ready. I probably need another 2-4 weeks before the ground is soft enough to dig.

You're better off just keeping them in the bags in the refrigerator until you can safely plant them outside. The folks digging the rhizomes try to get out and dig them while they're still dormant, before soil temps warm up enough to start the buds to elongate and commence growth. By keeping them in the fridge, you can artificially extend that dormant period for a very long time without any adverse effect. Many years, I've dug mine in March and was successful in taking some 'left-overs' out of the fridge and planting as late as July 4 just to see what would happen. It's all good.

Last year I ordered 6 rhizomes and received them in March. The ground was still frozen here with 2 feet of snow until mid May. I just poked some holes in the plastic bag and put a damp paper towel in the bags and kept them in the fridge until the ground was thawed out. All 6 came up but 1 never really seemed to grow after it got about a foot tall. The rest grew fine and some even produced a couple ounces of hops. I hope the 6th one comes back this year but we will see.

A few years ago in February someone gave me three of the tiniest Fuggles rhizomes you'll ever see - they were barely two inches long and pale as ghosts. I stuck them in a sandwich bag with a damp piece of paper towel, stuck them in the fridge, and forgot about them. Until that May - when I discovered them cowering in the back of the meat compartment.

I planted them and this will be their fourth season. It's amazing how hardy a rhizome can be...

Cheers!

Back