Rhizome swapping thread 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJerryrigger

Reaction score
If you have rhizomes you want to trade post what you've got, what you want, and what zone you're in to establish when you can plant/dig up rhizomes.

planting%20zones.jpg

What I have:
Sterling 6-9% alpha
"A Saaz hybrid released in 1998 that displays similar noble aroma and oil composition to the Czech variety, good yield and moderately resistant to Downy Mildew, generally considered a favorable Saaz replacement. Mid-season maturity. " - freshops.com

Zone 5

What I want:
Something with supper high AA's, like magnum
2 or 3 aroma verities

Just a general reminder to adhere to USDA and various state department of agriculture quarantine and shipping restrictions for hop rhizomes.

Please do not ship to Washington, Oregon, or Idaho without first verifying the receiver is outside of current quarantine designated areas or by checking the state's department of agriculture and USDA sites to confirm.

Good idea!

I only have two mature plants to take rhizomes from- I have cascades and hallertauer.

I'm in zone 3/4 so the ground is frozen until about mid-April or later.

I could use more centennial (rhizomes apparently are DOA).

I will be trimming 14 plants first thing this spring. I have no idea how many rhizomes I will end up having. I may simply post in the Classifieds section since I really won't be wanting any in return. This is a good thread to start these days though. Gets me thinking about warmer weather and garden planning!

I won't have rhizomes this year, but next year I will for sure! On another note I had good luck dropping some healthy Hallertau shoots in the ground midway through the season, they climbed around 8' up my twine so this is another way to propagate your hops.

Very good idea. I don't think I'm ready to swap out the rhizomes I planted last year (maybe next year), but I'd be willing to buy one off someone.

I have three plants I am harvesting Rhizomes from;

Chinook
Cascade
Galena

I would love to have three more Rhizomes from any other plant! I am in Zone 10 I think, if the little pink splotch on your chart is representing the S.F. Bay Area?

Great Idea !!!! I just traded some Rhizome for some Home Brew!:rockin:

I have Cascade
Fuggles
Chinook
I want Northern Brewer
Hallertau
I am in zone 4 but I will dig in mid March because the Fuggles emerge at the solsstice every year

Thanks
Andrea

Just a general reminder to adhere to USDA and various state department of agriculture quarantine and shipping restrictions for hop rhizomes.

Please do not ship to Washington, Oregon, or Idaho without first verifying the receiver is outside of current quarantine designated areas or by checking the state's department of agriculture and USDA sites to confirm.

If I can find the time to dig, it will be late February/early March. I should have Nugget and Mt. Hood. Both are going into their second growing season.

Good to know, I had no idea that there was such a thing!

Cactusgarrett,

I would love to trade with you if possible! I have three plants I am harvesting Rhizomes from;

Chinook
Cascade
Galena

Let me know if your interested and I will start digging...LOL:D

I have one each: Tettnang, Nugget and Willamette, from Madison WI (Zone 5) if anyone is interested. This will be their third year.

Should we have a Canadian version of this thread? I'd swap some of mine (Cascade, Nugget, Willamette) but borders can be onerous!

B

You can dig and plant as soon as the ground is thawed . Also it does not matter if after you plant that the ground frosts.I usually start digging in March here in Colorado Cheers Glen

If I can find the time to dig, it will be late February/early March. I should have Nugget and Mt. Hood. Both are going into their second growing season.

only their second season?

dont you think its a tad early to be cutting those poor guys up?

only their second season?

dont you think its a tad early to be cutting those poor guys up?

I do. How many seasons should I let them go before chopping them up?

Figured I'd jump in on this thread, since they're currently in pots andI will be transfering them to the ground this year, so I'll have to expose the roots anyways. But if it's a better idea to transplant without cutting, I'll do that instead.

Good to know, I had no idea that there was such a thing!

Cactusgarrett,

I would love to trade with you if possible! I have three plants I am harvesting Rhizomes from;

Chinook
Cascade
Galena

Let me know if your interested and I will start digging...LOL:D

Thantos - would you consider selling a couple Chinook's? I don't have any to trade but was looking to plant a couple chinook and amarillo this year. That is, until I found out amarillo are patent protected and you can't plant them

im in zone 5-6 but dont have anything to trade yet :( if anyone has extra left over after cutting i would love to get some! i will pay for shipping! if anyone has any please PM!

Thantos - would you consider selling a couple Chinook's? I don't have any to trade but was looking to plant a couple chinook and amarillo this year. That is, until I found out amarillo are patent protected and you can't plant them

CidahMastah,
I would never sell them to you, but I would trade you for some cider or home brew! Shoot me a PM with your addy and let me know whats available for trade LOL...:D

Are these your tear drop carboys? If so where did you get them and what size are they?

IMG_4230.JPG

Thantos - sounds good to me. Will PM you my address and we can figure out the details.

Those are my carboys and demijohns (in the brew cave - ha). The tear drop ones are 15 gallon demijohns. I got them at midwest http://www.midwestsupplies.com/15-gallon-glass-demi-john.html

You might want to order 3-4 or so to save on shipping cost and driving down the cost per demijohn. I have 6 in total (5 in the rotation and one is the racking vessel), they are awesome to use. However I never lift them unless they are half full. Rack out half to new vessel and move then finish racking.

i should have quite a few centennial this year, as i will be trimming 6 mature plants. cant fo until april/may. will give a yell here when im gonna trim

For the San Diego hop growers: I have a 4th year Northern Brewer hop in a pot that needs to be planted in the ground since its pretty root bound. I dont have the space for it anymore but I need the half whiskey barrel in which its currently sitting. The good thing is that it is really compacted so I could take it out of the pot and you could probably still roll it to your house. :) Would be for pickup only in the SD area. (And Free)

I do not have any hop plants. :(

But my LHBS is taking orders. :)

But I am a barter / make friends kind of guy - so - If anyone is interested, I'd love to make a swap - I'm offering some NC Craft beers - a sixer of your choice from Duck Rabbit and a sixer from Carolina Brewing Company. Really would like 3 rhizomes / variety.

Willing to swap up to four "packages" for diversity.

Most desired - centennial, cascade, Northern Brewer, but open to any variety.

Ok All,
I went out and did a little more digging in the yard today and have more Rhizomes to trade/barter for.

CidahMastah,

I have yours set aside so that leaves 2 sets of the 3 hops. Anyone interested in a set of;

Cascade
Chinook
Galena

Let me know and I will send them out! I like the idea of trading/bartering so anyone with different hops or home brew let me know. The reason I am sending out all 3 together is to try to cut down on shipping costs.

IMG00479.jpg

I'd be interested, but won't have any rhizomes yet this year (only 2nd year hops). I can send you out some mixed bottles of homebrew in trade if you'd like, let me know if you're interested and I can shoot you a list of what I've got in bottles/kegs right now.

I don't have any, but if anyone will be selling or giving away I would be happy to take them and pay for shipping. Looking to grow hops for the first time this year.

I should have some:

Centennial
Nugget
Fuggle
Kent Golding
Cascade
Halleratu
Willamette

I don't need any more (No room as is!) but would be up for trades for craft/home brew.

I'm in zone5, maybe can dig in March/April. When I see exactly what I can dig up I'll post

I'll ship in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel. Make sure you keep them in your fridge until you can plant.

Another tip, if you plan to plant a couple varieties, make sure you make a map and keep it inside somewhere (posted on a wall works nice). Other forms of markers can bleach out with the sun.

I should have some:

Centennial
Nugget
Fuggle
Kent Golding
Cascade
Halleratu
Willamette

I don't need any more (No room as is!) but would be up for trades for craft/home brew.

I'm in zone5, maybe can dig in March/April. When I see exactly what I can dig up I'll post

I'll ship in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel. Make sure you keep them in your fridge until you can plant.

I'm game! Check out Duck Rabbit Brewery and Carolina Brewing Company and PM me what you would like to try and and address and I'll hook you up ! :ban::ban:

I'm game! Check out Duck Rabbit Brewery and Carolina Brewing Company and PM me what you would like to try and and address and I'll hook you up ! :ban::ban:

Will do :) What varieties should I reserve for you? I should have lots of Fuggle/Cent/Cascade/Willamette

Only have one plant of: Hallertau, Kent Golding, Nugget

I'd gladly send you one of each (if they all have rhizomes) for that great of an offer :)

I should have some:

Centennial
Nugget
Fuggle
Kent Golding
Cascade
Halleratu
Willamette

I'd definitely like to get my hands on your centennials! I could easily use two or three rhizomes- the two I planted last year seem DOA.

When spring comes, I'd love to have a willamette rhizome also. Let me know, and I'll swap you some good beers.

I have Saaz. They need more sun than I have. I also have lots of Centennial and a few Willamette. I will dig them in March.

I don't need more hops, so beer or some future crop would be great. I am in the southeastern Denver area if you want to dig them with me.

Will do :) What varieties should I reserve for you? I should have lots of Fuggle/Cent/Cascade/Willamette

Only have one plant of: Hallertau, Kent Golding, Nugget

I'd gladly send you one of each (if they all have rhizomes) for that great of an offer :)

I'm a go with the flow kinda guy - love surprises - just label'em and when I open the box I'll be tickled regardless.

You check the sites out yet?

I have Saaz. They need more sun than I have. I also have lots of Centennial and a few Willamette. I will dig them in March.

I don't need more hops, so beer or some future crop would be great. I am in the southeastern Denver area if you want to dig them with me.

Same offer I made above - only have one taker so far ....

To all the people who don't want more rhizomes,
Are any of you interested in vegetable seeds? I have and extensive collection, so it's likely I have something you want. I you want; PM me a list some of what you usually grow and I'll let you know the what I have for trade.
I could set you up with a few seeds from a lot of types of tomatoes if you like, I have about 25...

I have a lot of varieties to trade, but I am really only interested in a significantly sized Columbus cutting or crown. Lemme know if you have one!

Never trimmed before but this will be the third year for my Chinook and Cascade, Zone 5. Got a couple locals who want some but I'm thinking I'll have a lot!

Hey Yooper!

I'll mail you some Centennials for you and Willamette once I can dig. Don't worry about getting anything back to me, you organizing the HBT contest is great and you don't owe me anything.

@Hannable1975
I sent you a PM about beers. I'll get you a good variety :)

I'll see what else is out there in spring and post back.

Anyone who has Saaz, I'd glady buy a rhizome from you or send you some product for every year I can get production from it. This will be my first year growing hops but I have a great spot on the South side of my garden that I'm hoping will work well.

Chris

Back