Rhizome Planting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LayMeister

Reaction score
I just got my Rhizomes yesterday and they are in my fruit cellar. I guess during shipping some of them developed sprouts about 2 to 3" long. I understand I should plant them at about the same time you plant peas which is still a couple of weeks away. Can I safely put the Rhizomes back into a 40F refrigerator for these couple of weeks? Or should I plant them in pots since the soil temp is still to low?

Paul

New Rhizomes should be planted around a week or two before last frost date, hops will happily take a light frost after they have emerged and YES you can put them back into the fridge.

This year I planted new ones here in NC a full 4 weeks before last frost and we have had two cold spells below 32 deg and they have survived without issue... new growth is above ground too.

I have heard that they are not very tender and might take a cold snap below 26 even ... but have not had to deal with that luckily.

Earlier you can get them started the better for a full seasons growth.

Thanks for the reply. We are still about 4 weeks from last frost and I was planning on keeping them (500 Rhizomes) in the fridge until the field was ready near the end of the month. My main concern was around the sprouts that had already emerged.

Paul

New Rhizomes should be planted around a week or two before last frost date, hops will happily take a light frost after they have emerged and YES you can put them back into the fridge.

This year I planted new ones here in NC a full 4 weeks before last frost and we have had two cold spells below 32 deg and they have survived without issue... new growth is above ground too.

I have heard that they are not very tender and might take a cold snap below 26 even ... but have not had to deal with that luckily.

Earlier you can get them started the better for a full seasons growth.

Back