Rhino fart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canonball

Reaction score
just started a batch of apfelwine, and i severely underestimated what a rhino fart smells like but in a strange way ive never been so happy to smell something so stanky. god bless home brewing

I've had batches that do and don't... and I think the main difference in that the fart-less bactches there was yeast nutrient was added

I havent had any significant sulfur production from my keg batches since I stopped using k-meta. I dont use nutrient. I've had a couple of experimental batches get a little sulfury - right now the WY2001 is a bit stinky. IMHO, if the yeast produces more than a very small amount of sulfur with your juice, switch to something else - there are plenty of yeasts that wont reek up your brew cellar. I know it usually blows off, but it doesnt exactly inspire confidence when friends check out the brew cellar and it smells like rotten eggs.

Canonball and Piazzon12 - what types of yeast are you using?

Montrachet (SP?) following ed wort's intructions i did at yeast nutrients my brew supply guy recommended it

I've had batches that do and don't... and I think the main difference in that the fart-less bactches there was yeast nutrient was added

two weeks ago I started a batch with fresh S04 and got the rhino farts. This week I have another batch going, same type of juice, that I pitched yeast cake from the first batch into. No farts. Its exactly the same yeast strain, same juice, both did not have nutrient. Difference is slight change in temp, this one is going cooler, and thus slower....its only a difference of 5 degrees...

My batch with D47 smells like a matchstick factory. Not so the batch with 1116. Both had K-meta added in equal amounts right after pressing.

Maybe its the temps, Its 60 in my basement. I've got 26 different batches fermenting. 11 different cultured yeasts plus 2 natural yeasts Except for the WY2001, they are hardly giving off any sulfer. You can smell some if you get right up on the airlock, but not from a regular distance.

On the first round of batches, I did notice some sulfer from the S23 in the secondary right after the crash. It may have got too warm. It went away after a couple days. The D47 batch I did last year fermented out clean, but it was colder then. S04 has always done great for me.

I have only used RedStar Montrachet, and even at 63F the first 3-4 days is kind of stinky. After that there is no more detectable odor.

My Montrachet Apfelwein stunk up the whole house for about 4 days. After that it was apple goodness. Rhino Farts are no joke!

Wow, have a batch going now and the first day wasn't bad. This morning, I am glad I have this in the garage. Its defiantly an interesting smell.

I'm fairly sure that if you use an ale (S04, US05, Notty) yeast, 4184 or just about any wheat yeast, dont sulfite and keep your temps at low 60s you wont get the stink. Or maybe I've just been lucky with my juice not having much sulfur

I always used to get the stink with unpasteurized juice until I stopped using k-meta. That was about a year ago. I've done about 100 (mostly 1 gallon) batches since then and havent got the stink except with this WY2001 batch, and that is just a bit.

I sometimes get a bit of sulfur smell in the keg. When that happens, I let all the C02 out, and then wait another day so that the C02 comes back out the cider, then let that out too. Then recharge the keg. That will scrub the sulfur smell out.

I have found the temperature to be key for me. Fridge set to 62F and have had no problems.
When I used to ferment at 70F or so I did not want to open the fermentation fridge!

Maybe speed of ferment, which is related to temps.

Yesterday one of my wild yeast batches really started taking off, even though temp was 60 in the basement, and was producing some sulfur. I moved it to the back porch which is at 45, which slowed it down and it is smelling good again

Back